Urgently need help

four seasons

Mar 15, 2015
My father is near end of life. He has late stage dementia and now cannot swallow safely. The gastroenterologist says he his too much of a risk to under go surgery for a peg to feed him. This I can quite understand. I then asked why he cannot return to the care home which has a nursing section and be ng tube fed. I was told they do not discharge patients with ng tubes. The last option is to continue to try and feed what is possible but he already has been admitted to hospital 3 times over a 5 week period with aspiration pneumonia. There is now to be an imminent meeting with the doctors and I URGENTLY NEED TO KNOW if anyone knows of any similar cases being fed by ng tube in nursing homes.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Sorry but I do not have any experience of similar situation. Just wanted to respond to your post and say that I hope something of real help to both of you is established very soon. Best wishes.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Four Seasons, I have not dealt with this myself but it is a complex decision, indeed. This booklet has some straight talk about it: https://www.stjosephhospicefoundation.org/images/pdfs/HardChoices.pdf .

The question you are trying to answer is, do you want to extended your dad's current state. He will not improve, and will need increased care. Has he any end of life directives he shared with you about this?

Best to you.