urgent help required - WARNING-

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Was at the worst meeting today. Found out hospital social worker has taken over hubby. Now told they are going to court to get guardenship and financil over him. So why did i get the welfare. financil etc POA They said they will over take mine. I have no trust with the Social Services due to them not helping, the way they have treated us and the financil department getting things wrong. Why now do they want to do this? I have went from being assesed as only needing and getting 10hrs a week care in to this. Also i quizzed at the start of the year about my husbands medication and said it wasn't controlling the jerks. Then he took a seizure still the same drug then he got worse after the seizure and that was noted. Still same drug he took another 2 seizures i quizzed again. Still same drug. Another 2 seizures they changed the drug. Bare in mind he deterioates after the seizures. I do not trust handing his welfare over to them. This has happened as they say he needs 24hr care which i was doing before as got no help. I have been told that 24hr care at home is not available yet i no so of you are getting it. I asked if its a post code lottery! I also enquired about NHS continuing care and was told Scotland is different than England there is none of that here. I want to find out about that as i thought the NHS was national.
If they take over him they can put him anywhere i will not have a say. They will also be in charge of the money what life will i have.
I have been in touch with a solicitor and was told that there is not a lot i can do but to complain to Social Services and she gave me the address and also told me to give them up to 20days to deal with it and then they will step in.
If i had known this was going to happen we would have left his pension and not taken it.
The government encourages you to take out pension etc. Is this so they can get your money if you get ill.
Sorry for the rant but i'm in tears writting this i amm so so worried.

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Chip

I am not sure that I can help but having read your post I did a quick search on the web and discovered that there is a SS ombudsman for Scotland and the contact details are:

"Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
SPSO
4 Melville Street
Edinburgh
EH3 7NS

For information and advice, you can ring the SPSO office on 0800 377 7330 visit their website."

I would suggest that you telephone as soon as possible for I believe that you have been treated discracefully.

Let us know how you get on for we are all on your side.

Love

Dick

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip, this sounds horrendous, I can't begin to understand what's going on, I've never heard of social services taking over in this way.

I've been trying to find some information for you, and your best contact may be Age Concern Scotland.

http://www.ageconcernscotland.org.uk/

They have a factsheet about continuing care, but unfortunately I couldn't get any of the links to work.

They do however suggest complaining to the Public Service Ombudsman, and this is the link.

http://www.spso.org.uk/

I would wait to see if your own solicitor can do anything, but it's always something to threaten them with.

I do hope someone can do something to help you.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
chip said:
. Found out hospital social worker has taken over hubby. Now told they are going to court to get guardenship and financil over him. .

Dear chip this sounds dreadful.

But if Social Services are going to court, surely you will be able to go to, to state your objections.
So they have not taken over yet, there is still chance for you to have your say.

You must get as much advice as possible, use the links Hazel found for you and write to the Ombudsman Dick found for you, and see your solicitor.

Take care

Love xx

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Thanks all looks like i have a lot of letter writting to do. Before i can go to the Ominbusman. This is so awful a way to treat us. After all we do/have done for our husbands/wifes/mothers/fathers. I have found out they just don't care about us. Well infact they didn't care about my husband until now. And i didn't get any help ether. Its just been a fight from the start to try and get anything. And now this. Its no wonder carers get ill its the NHS and Social Services who are making me ill.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Chip,
This surely is a sorry state of affairs. My hubby & myself were once placed in a similiar position with my MIL all the 'do-gooders' in their wisdom felt that she should be placed in care.We strongly objected and wanted her to remain at home with support. We ended up having to face a guardianship tribunal hearing, never did we think that things would go our way, but, the gods were smiling that day and my hubby was given guardianship, but, any medical decisions needing hospitalization etc were to be referred to the gaurdianship board. It's terrible how insensitive some people can be. I am sorry that your having to go through this ordeal and hopefully everything will go in your favour. Take Care. Taffy.

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Hi Chip, I agree with you the whole system is a disgrace. I'm aware there are people who'll say it's not all bad, but your not alone and when carers have to write and phone around to get attension then there is only one word for it, Bad.

I'm only too well aware that everyone is not as bloody minded as I, but some times one has to be, if they can. Since I took over the total control of my wife's care all the stress vanished from my life. Well over four years now I stopped all medication for her and the only time she's seen a doctor is when she's had a seizure/fit and is rushed to A&E. The last one was coming up for 7 months ago. It doesn't bother me that no one pops around just to see if she's still alive, I've come to accept there's nothing they can do, that I can do much better. To them she's just another person with Alzheimer's for over 12yrs.
This may not be much help, but they'll wear you down if you let them, summon up the strength to take back control. To them it's just a job to you it's your daily lives. I wish you well with all my heart. Padraig

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Got in touch with the ombusmen. They are sending information to me on complaining. They said i defently have complaints about both SS and NHS. I have a lot to do now. When i get their reply if its not satisfactory they will step in. They told me there is cases in Scotland now about NHS continuing care as well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good for you Chip.

At least you`ve got a definite response and know you will be supported. We are all keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That's great news, Chip. It's always a help if someone is prepared to fight your corner.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Love,

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I'm going to make an appointment with the GP tomorrow and make him aware what is going on and what has happened. I'm getting to him first, i know he said to me before that Social Services are bad and i will tell him that no way am i going to let them get guardinship as they were never interested in his welfare before ( They need his signiture)I will also show him what i found out today what drugs he is on as i think he will quiz them and also tell him that they reduced the seizure meds and so he took seizures knowing that every seizure he took he deteriorated and i have proof.

dave55

Oct 7, 2006
Chip, I hope you get control back.

I think those who dive in and try to get guardianship/control over people and their finances unnessecarily and against those parties' wishes are simply criminal,
and would be treated as such if I had my way.

I'm so glad to see good people here with real help and advice for you.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I phoned Alzheimers help line they were helpful gave me web sites to check and they agreed its awful www.iso.org.uk and www.mwcscot.org.uk i got a lot of info very useful info and a lot i didn't no about or been informed about so got more on them. I've been told they haven't taken into account that i have the POA and that was his wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good news Chip. No-one else thought about the POA. That will certainly add power to your elbow.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The second link looks very helpful, chip. I couldn't get through on the first one.

I'm glad Alzheimer Scotland were able to help you.

Love,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip, have you got a copy of Alzheimer Scotland's book, Dementia, Money and Legal Matters? There's a new edition out, I just got mine yesterday, so haven't had time to study it, but it would be worth your while sending for it, if you can't get it from your local office.

In the section, What to do if you need more powers, it says

If the person with dementia has no power of attorney, or if something needs to be done which is not covered by his or her power of attorney, you can go to court for an intervention order or for guardianship.

Further on it says:

Anyone with an interest can apply for an intervention order or guardianship. Often this could be a carer or relative. If an intervantion order or guardianship is needed and no-one else is applying, the local authority must apply.

Doesn't sound as if they've a leg to stand on.