Urgent help and advice please!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
OH has been recently hospitalised.....is not back to base line which when admitted was two person transfer using a rotaunder.......now requires hoisting......many medical problems as well as mixed dementia.....(other UTI catheter...now Sepsis has all the details) as infection now cleared HE has been told ready to go home...I was shocked so went to see the nurse who agreed drs saying ‘ medically’ ok. I stressed please do not tell him again as believed he was coming home with me...forgets he cannot mobilise)
He has only been lifted out of bed twice in 10days, not showered.....not dressed.....not even into pjs only a change of hospital gown.......
I have meeting with drs booked for 3pm tomorrow! I know they’re probably correct , they have done their job but what about getting back to where he was before admission.
Not sure what his/ my rights are and also what I can expect them to agree to!
I have made a list of questions I want answers to but would gratefully appreciate any advice from TP .
Thanks in advance!!!!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
So sorry Lady M. You will need to insist on a Needs Assessment before he leaves.
My husband was sent home without one. It is a wonder either of us survived. We ended after a bad weekend with hospital at home. BUT although weak he did not need a hoist.
It is so difficult to handle when someone is told that they are going home, quite cruel in fact.
Hold tight. Xxxx

Patrioted

Jul 4, 2017
Demand a needs assessment with a registered mental health nurse specializing in dementia. Don’t be afraid, if need be, to threaten a law suit if this demand is not met.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Refuse to allow him home and dont budge.

If he requires hoisting now, then you cannot bring him home as you are - you are not being difficult, it is simply impossible. He will require the equipment at home, you will need training, he will need double handed carers in order to use the hoist. Without all this provision in place before he comes homes you will not be able to meet his needs. He would be back in hospital again within a very sort time and hospitals get fined for a failed discharge.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Refuse to allow him home and dont budge.

If he requires hoisting now, then you cannot bring him home as you are - you are not being difficult, it is simply impossible. He will require the equipment at home, you will need training, he will need double handed carers in order to use the hoist. Without all this provision in place before he comes homes you will not be able to meet his needs. He would be back in hospital again within a very sort time and hospitals get fined for a failed discharge.
THanks canary, we do have in house carers( assisted living....however I am not sure they could even meet his needs as they’re not nurses!
The head of care would have to undertake her own re assessment!
The care is 4calls a day two persons.....
At present I am not certain that would meet OHs needs.
He is so weak adult grandson who visited today....said...of course they haven’t sat him in a chair, they’re worried he might fall forward........
Thanks for your reply and concern.......
What would we do without TP

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You have to speak to the hospital social worker. Once someone is deemed medically fit for a discharge you need to ask for an assessment and some form of care package or whatever needed before you agree to take him home.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
In addition to the advice you'd already had... You say the head of care would need to undertake her own reassessment - in which case she should be go to the hospital to assess him. If she says they can't meet his needs, the hospital cannot discharge him back to that situation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976