Urgent - anyone with any ideas

ellie 123

May 25, 2006
Hi everyone

Am at mum's and have managed to borrow neighbour's computer.

Please, has any one any knowledge or experience re: transferring relatives within UK.

Basically I am being told it is not going to happen and keep being pushed into putting mum in to care home up here in NOtts.

Both nhs and SS are saying there is nothing they can do because 'it's such a long way'

Will check for replies in 24 hours.

Love ellie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry Ellie, I wouldn`t know where to start. Could you try for something on compassionate grounds, as you would be able to visit more frequently etc.

What exactly is the problem? Is it transporting your mother from A to B ?

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Ellie

Is your Mum already in a care home, if not there shouldn't be problem in transferring between regions.

I did it with my parent's, I will admitt it took a while and lots of phone calls to get assessments and funding sorted, but it can be done. You just have to tell SS that this is what you are doing and what you want and to please get their finger out and do it! Tell them nicely, of course.

Good Luck
Alfjess

PS. I am in Scotland, but I don't see that, that should make a difference

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Ellie, I don't see why 'it's such a long way' should make a difference. It is possible to transfer patients from one LA to another -- I believe Notts would still be responsible for the funding, but don't quote me on that!

Alfjess has done it, and so I believe did Cate, and there are others.

I think you need to dig your heels in over this, and tell them that's what is going to happen.

Good luck,

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Please, has any one any knowledge or experience re: transferring relatives within UK.

Basically I am being told it is not going to happen and keep being pushed into putting mum in to care home up here in NOtts.

Both nhs and SS are saying there is nothing they can do because 'it's such a long way'

Hi Ellie

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I'm not entirely clear on exactly what the problem is from what you've said, but the following might help...

As others have said, it is possible for people to move to a different local/health authority - particularly if the reason is to be closer to loved ones or carers. If you are being told that the distance is the problem - and that that is the only problem - then I would suggest that you challenge this through the social services/NHS complaints system. You could argue that it would be in your mother's 'best interests' to move, and then give the reasons why (i.e. to be nearer to family, etc).
You could also ask that being close to family members is included in your mother's care plan, if this is appropriate.

The AS factsheet below may also be useful:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/475

Take care

Katherine

ellie 123

May 25, 2006
Thanks all. As you know i was late picking mum up due to my health. Collected her from care home and found her in a distressing state, she couldn't walk, couldn't communicate, doubly incontinent, they had lost her teeth and her face was entirely covered with bruises and cuts. They said one of her legs was giving way beneath her and as a result she had five falls over the course of the week they had her there - they never called a doctor. They advised me to do so! Three of us struggled to get her into my car and they walked away they said 'well we got her in but god knows how you'll get her out the other end'. As a result the GP put her back in hospital the next day, where she still is.

Problems-

- dr. who has been treating for the past 6 months will neither visit mum nor discuss the situation with me.

-I was offered hospital to hospital transfer, but my local hospital won't accept her because of her dementia.

-Both NHS and SS want to transfer her to my home without a care package or OT in place. In other words they want to discharge her into my care and have told me when i get to Kent i can start the procedure of getting a care package and necessary equipment/hospital bed in place. My mother is currently bed bound and unconscious so how can i take her home with nothing in place? Also the hospital doctors told me tonight 'surely i could manage'. Do you think i could without a bed, a hoist, commode etc? I think that's insane but perhaps i'm wrong. Simultaneously social services in Notts are saying it can take a while to adapt my home and social services in kent can't/won't (not sure which) do anything until i get mum to Kent.

-I'm finding that NHS is saying 'can't do' and pointing me to SS, and SS are saying 'can't do' and pointing me towards NHS.

-Simultaneously, they are both repeatedly pressuring me to leave her here in Notts in a local home. I believe this is a cop out but obviously it's the cheapest easiest option for both the NHS and SS.

Am having difficulty finding out what our rights are. Have tried the 'this is what i want to happen to mum' but they're just saying nothing else can be done. Alzheimers advocate suggest i offered alternative hospitals but they won't even consider this option.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I live in Kent and I'm afraid I found the Social Services and the local hospital most unhelpful.
Kent does not seem to be as good as some other areas, at providing care for the elderly and people with disabilities.

I think it might have something to do with the high cost of living in this part of the world, as housing and services are very expensive.

In the past, I have found the local MPs very helpful in making suggestions and investigating problems, that I have had with my parents' treatment (or lack of it!) in hospital.

The logical solution to the problem, would be for a care assessment to be posted to Kent Social Services, so that a support package can be organised before transfer.

In the 21st Century, with modern communication systems, such as e-mail and video links, it should be easy to exchange information between Counties.

Kayla

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi again Ellie

I'm really sorry to hear about this situation; it does indeed sound as if you are not getting the support that you need. I can only suggest going down the complaints route with both the NHS and social services. Have you tried talking to PALS (Patient Advocacy & Liaison Service)? They can sometimes be useful (although we do hear mixed reports). You should be able to get a contact for PALS via the hospital.

The question of what your 'rights' are is a tricky one, as carers do not have concrete rights as such. Both the NHS and social services have a duty to act in the best interests of people that they care for, and also to follow guidelines of best practice around involving and consulting carers in decisions that they make. From what you have said you may well have cause for complaint in both of these areas.

Given the complexity of your situation, it might be helpful for you to contact our Legal & Welfare Officer, Sara Wilcox. Her number is 0207 423 3530, and her helpline is open Monday to Friday between 2 and 4.30 pm.

Sorry that I can't offer you more advice myself.

Take care,

Katherine

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Ellie

I would agree with Kayla. Your MP (and/or your mother's) might just be the person who has the contacts to stop this nonsence.

You will need to make an appointment to visit his surgery one evening.
The telephone number can be obtained from citizens Advice or the local Council or the internet.
Your MP does not have a magic wand to make anything happen today, BUT he does know all the right contacts in the PCT and Social Services and he will write to them and ask what is going on.

Keep pushing

Best wishes

Clive

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
- dr. who has been treating for the past 6 months will neither visit mum nor discuss the situation with me.

-I was offered hospital to hospital transfer, but my local hospital won't accept her because of her dementia.

-Both NHS and SS want to transfer her to my home without a care package or OT in place. In other words they want to discharge her into my care and have told me when i get to Kent i can start the procedure of getting a care package and necessary equipment/hospital bed in place. My mother is currently bed bound and unconscious so how can i take her home with nothing in place? Also the hospital doctors told me tonight 'surely i could manage'.

How can any hospital, anywhere, discharge an unconcious patient, to anywhere, in the country, with or without a care package.

If I have read this post correctly, then it is disgusting and a sad reflection on the NHS
And as for "surely you could manage" it beggars belief.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can't believe, that the hospital is trying to discharge an unconcious person.

Alfjess