Urgent advice please chc funding

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Nursing home received letter this morning addressed to Mum from CHC. I don't know much about this apart from her being assessed. Am I right in thinking if she qualifies they either fund her nursing care at home, or pay her nursing care fees in the nursing home? I assume if they fund her in the nursing home that they would take her pensions as well and pay the shortfall? She obviously is not self funding. Responses greatfully received. Thank you, Sue

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
She may only be granted funded nursing care (FNC). This is a flat rate of £109.79 paid directly to the nursing home, it cannot be paid to anybody in their own home.

If she is awarded continuing health care (CHC) all her fees are paid, care can be in an appropriate home or at home depending on the care plan.

Neither affects her state pension but CHC in a care home affects other benefits eg attendance allowance, after 28 days,whereas CHC in own home does not..

Both FNC and CHC depend on the outcome of her assessment.

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Nursing home received letter this morning addressed to Mum from CHC. I don't know much about this apart from her being assessed. Am I right in thinking if she qualifies they either fund her nursing care at home, or pay her nursing care fees in the nursing home? I assume if they fund her in the nursing home that they would take her pensions as well and pay the shortfall? She obviously is not self funding. Responses greatfully received. Thank you, Sue
Hi Sue,
If she is granted CHC the NHS will pay for your Mum's care in full. However they too have limits to what they will pay so if she is somewhere really expensive now, they may want to move her. My LA has a limit of £660. There is no means test and in normal circumstances there is no top up allowed but there are ways around that.

You should be involved in the meeting that makes the assessment so get researching now. There are agencies that will assist you but I have no experience of them. Others may be able to point you in the right direction.

I wish you well.:)

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Hi Sue, the state will pay your mother's fees whatever as she's not self-funding. If she gets CHC funding, the NHS pays and she will keep her pension. If she doesn't get CHC funding, the LA will take all her income except £23.50 per week - better check that figure as I'm rubbish at remembering numbers.

Either way, she will lose her entitlement AA (if she gets it).

asherman

Account on hold
Oct 9, 2011
Milton Keynes
CHC is not capped, but local authorities (LAs) do have a cap on the funding they will provide. If you hear the phrase 'the LA rate' - this refers only to social care, not NHS care or CHC funding. CHC covers health and nursing care needs and is provided and funded by the NHS and is not capped or means tested, regardless of what some NHS assessors may say. There are people in some of the most expensive care homes who receive full (uncapped) CHC funding, as indeed they should. Hope that helps.

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
Hi SueShell
Google the national framework for NHS Continuing Care. It will tell you all you need to know.
I am a bloody authority on this as I have been researching for over 5 weeks as we have my dad's assessment coming up in two weeks time and he is fully self funding so it means thousands and thousands of £££££££ to us!!!
Good luck whatever happens

M x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited by a moderator:

ancient&modern

Oct 19, 2013
She may only be granted funded nursing care (FNC). This is a flat rate of £109.79 paid directly to the nursing home, it cannot be paid to anybody in their own home.

If she is awarded continuing health care (CHC) all her fees are paid, care can be in an appropriate home or at home depending on the care plan.

Neither affects her state pension but CHC affects other benefits eg attendance allowance, after 28 days.

Both FNC and CHC depend on the outcome of her assessment.

hello. may i check something please/ are you saying that people in receipt of CHC- funded careworkers coming to their home are not entitled to receive Attendance Allowance?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...are you saying that people in receipt of CHC- funded careworkers coming to their home are not entitled to receive Attendance Allowance?..."

Sorry , my mistake, they can receive AA but any LA funded benefits will cease.
I have edited my post.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014

Hi Sue

A lot of people are aware on this site that my step mother got CHC funding after a lot of argument.
They wanted me to sell the bungalow she lived in which was ridiculous as it belonged to me.
When she was first assessed the Social Worker told me she knew a home which would take her at about £1,000 per week.
She was kept in hospital for about a month and about 50 homes assessed her and none would take her.
The home which the social worker first suggested came to look at her and they said they would take her.
I was then advised that a special meeting would have to take place because of the cost of the home and it could not happen for 2 weeks and the room could be lost in the mean time but she could go straight away if I paid.
I again refused to pay.
3 days later I had a call saying my step mother was being transferred to the home and sadly she died a week later.
I did however find out from another relative who had been visiting for a year there were always empty rooms because of people passing away.
Another interesting thing I found out was the average time a resident spent in that home was only 7 months as it took on the bad cases.

William

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Thank you for all your replies.
I'm really only interested in full CHC funding for her Nursing home. She really is too I'll to be nursed at home, but who knows how these people assess anyone because they never seem to see what we see! She's receiving excellent care at the nursing home, and sounds selfish but every other day I don't visit her and its just fantastic to have time to myself again after such a stressful 4 years. I only wrote to SS mentioning CHC and they seem to have informed them to do the assessment!!!!!!

Sorry for all these questions but if they deem her only qualifying for home funding, not in a nursing home do I have to accept it or can I go back to SS? If she did qualify for home funding do I then have to organise carers privately or is that still SS 's domain? Thank you, Sue

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
Hi Sue.
So your mum is in a nursing home, yes??
Who is paying for that at the moment?

M x

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
Well it sounds to me like your mum is getting CHC. It pays EVERYTHING even if she is at home with carers/nurses coming in
Ring SS finance dept on Monday and ask them to clarify the position. They are usually really helpful.
As said in previous posts if she was at home she could still get attendance allowance but if she is in care home it ceases after 29 days.

Hope this helps

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
Btw I meant to say....

If she is getting CHC then they won't touch her pension AT ALL. I pays the whole lot.
We have an assessment coming up in 2 weeks time for my dad who is in a nursing home and I'm just hoping we get awarded it too as dad is self funding!!!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Sue, perhaps you could ask SS if your Mum is on a re-ablement programme? This is sort of 'half way' care when a person needs care after needing a Hospital stay and before it has been decided what the ongoing care plan will be.

Love

Lyn T XX

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Sue, perhaps you could ask SS if your Mum is on a re-ablement programme? This is sort of 'half way' care when a person needs care after needing a Hospital stay and before it has been decided what the ongoing care plan will be.

Love

Lyn T XX

Thank you Lyn, yes I will ring and find out on Monday. In answer to Marts comment, Mums Attendance A!lowance ceased ages ago because once someone goes into hospital after 28 days you must notify DWP so they stop paying it. Mum had two sessions in hospital in quick succession, three hours to be precise, went straight to NH from hospital. Sue

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
Hi again Sue.
Yes AA would stop in hospital but not in care home if she was self funding. It would also stop if she is getting CHC or if LA are funding part of her care
It's such a mind field Sue. All I do is google every question I want to ask, rephrasing it if nothing comes up that answers my question.
Keep your chin up. It's the circle of life.
M x

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Apparently the NHS were funding Mum's NH up to 22nd January. I rang SS who didn't know whose funding it now, totally useless! When I visited Mum at the NH in the afternoon I asked the administrator and she told me SS were paying at the moment. How mad are SS who don't even seem to know that Mum is being funded by them. The administrator did say there is some form that SS are supposed to send the NH which they haven't received from them yet. She said its not unusual as our particular SS borough are absolutely useless in organising anything! Anyhow as long as they can keep her there until her CHC assessment has been completed. Hugs to all Sue

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Sue

I hope you don't mind me writing this as I expect you know already. Don't sign any paperwork given to you by SS's or the NH without reading it very carefully. Take it home with you to read. It may involve YOU, or another relative, being asked to pay third party top ups if the NH is above the LA rate. I'm only pointing this out to you because your SS's seem to be at a loss to understand/be aware of their own actions:eek:

Love,

Lyn T XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513