Urgent advice please chc funding

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Hi Sue

I hope you don't mind me writing this as I expect you know already. Don't sign any paperwork given to you by SS's or the NH without reading it very carefully. Take it home with you to read. It may involve YOU, or another relative, being asked to pay third party top ups if the NH is above the LA rate. I'm only pointing this out to you because your SS's seem to be at a loss to understand/be aware of their own actions:eek:

Love,

Lyn T XX

Hi Lyn

I think SS and the NHS are aware of their own actions.
When my step mother was awarded CHC funding I was asked to sign I would pay the fees if she was ever found to be not eligible in the future.
A review was going to take place 3 months later and I feel sure if I had signed it and she had been alive I would have been chased for the money.
In a case I helped with a daughter was a tenants in common owner with her mother.
The paper she was asked to sign stated she only lived with her mother.

William

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lyn

I think SS and the NHS are aware of their own actions.
When my step mother was awarded CHC funding I was asked to sign I would pay the fees if she was ever found to be not eligible in the future.
A review was going to take place 3 months later and I feel sure if I had signed it and she had been alive I would have been chased for the money.
In a case I helped with a daughter was a tenants in common owner with her mother.
The paper she was asked to sign stated she only lived with her mother.

William

William

My reply to Sueshell's post was in response to her post that stated her Mum's SS's are badly organised and didn't know who was funding her Mum's care at the moment. I was being specific to Sue's concerns. I would like to think that SS's and the NHS are aware of their actions most of the time -I won't go into whether we agree with the actions they take-but the points regarding property you make to not apply to Sue's Mum as she is not self funding.

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
William

My reply to Sueshell's post was in response to her post that stated her Mum's SS's are badly organised and didn't know who was funding her Mum's care at the moment. I was being specific to Sue's concerns. I would like to think that SS's and the NHS are aware of their actions most of the time -I won't go into whether we agree with the actions they take-but the points regarding property you make to not apply to Sue's Mum as she is not self funding.

Thanks Lyn. Yes I certainly will be very careful what I sign as having to give up work to care for Mum and shooting myself in the foot financially, I couldn't possibly afford to top up let alone pay her NH fees. Big hugs,Sue

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks Lyn. Yes I certainly will be very careful what I sign as having to give up work to care for Mum and shooting myself in the foot financially, I couldn't possibly afford to top up let alone pay her NH fees. Big hugs,Sue

I didn't mean to alarm you my lovely. As long as you use the Mantra 'no one is responsible for another person's CH/NH fees' you will be one step ahead;) I had a little panic when you mentioned the NH Administrator was waiting for a form from SS's.:eek:

Keep coming back here as lots of people will give you the relevant advice. If any bits of paper are given to you just tell them you will return at your convenience.

Has a CHC checklist/assessment taken place yet? I don't suppose so as you should be informed-but as you say you haven't any faith in SS's.

Keep going. You are doing well on behalf of your Mum. I'm very glad that you are happy with her care-it's what you both deserve.

Love,

Lyn T XXXX

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Marts1711 wrote I am a bloody authority on this as I have been researching for over 5 weeks as we have my dad's assessment coming up in two weeks time and he is fully self funding so it means thousands and thousands of £££££££ to us!!!

You have my utmost sympathy, it is costing my poor Mum £3,000 a month until all of her savings are gone. We have had to sell the house to give her savings to pay for it all. It breaks your heart. Why did they never go on holiday, why did they go without, why - will someone please tell me. They never drank or smoked just saved. We should all be treated the same.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I went on Monday with a lady whose mother has been in a nursing home on CHC funding for nearly 17 months.
The assessor said this was clearly a CHC funding case but she wanted to get on with another case and she will send a letter through to this effect and a copy of her report which has arrived.
What did amaze me was again the assessor said it may be wise to downsize so funds will be available if the mother does not qualify in 12 months time for CHC funding.
The daughter is ignoring this advice as all medics have said they are very surprised the mother is still alive now.
I have had a similar situation before.
I am just wondering why advice to downsize is given to offspring to cover a funding situation which is unlikely to happen?.
Also the daughter wants to enjoy what time she has got left with her mother and not be involved with house moves at this stage.

William

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
I hope I have not misunderstood. Are you saying the daughter has been told or rather advised by the people funding this that she should downsize and move. It isnt herself who is in care but her mother , of course she doesnt have to pay out if her mother has not the funds. Do you mean to tell me that everyone in care is being funded by members of their family if they do not have property of savings. You tell the daughter to carry on ignoring it. Who on earth do these people think they are.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I hope I have not misunderstood. Are you saying the daughter has been told or rather advised by the people funding this that she should downsize and move. It isnt herself who is in care but her mother , of course she doesnt have to pay out if her mother has not the funds. Do you mean to tell me that everyone in care is being funded by members of their family if they do not have property of savings. You tell the daughter to carry on ignoring it. Who on earth do these people think they are.

Hi Pottingshed50

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/E...rmanent_care_home_provision_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

If you look at paragraph 5.1 as the daughter has the right to occupy the house as a joint owner and does not want to purchase the mother's half. For care home fees purposes the mother's share is worthless.
The daughter is 60 and nobody would want to buy a house with somebody in it who could be there for 45 years.
If you also look at paragraph 3 the LA can not take the house in to account because of the daughters age.

William

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa