1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. naomileah123

naomileah123 Registered User

Jul 17, 2015
    Leeds, West Yorkshire
    My Nana has vascular dementia and in the last week or so she's complaining of feeling pain in her head. She says it's like little shocks she can feel in her head, like electric ones. When she has them she seems to have a blank expression and you can see her wince in pain so I don't think she's imagining this. Is this just part of the dementia? Thanks in advance!

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I hope its not dementia as I get that too!!
    Ive been told that its a fatigue symptom where you are literally falling asleep on your feet. Has your Nana got very tired recently? You could get her GP to check it out and make sure there isnt anything else going on.

3. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    I would be getting her to the GP's very quickly.
    When did she last go to the dentist?

Bod

4. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    I agree - can you get a same day emergency appointment with the GP? I would consider it to be URGENT good luck, let us know how it goes x

5. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    She hasn't stopped taking any medication recently has she? I got these when I tried to stop taking effexor (an anti-depressant). Ended up taking over a year to taper very slowly off this drug.

But I agree - GP, pronto.

6. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    My Mum suffered from Neuraglgia which cause her to wince from sharp pains in her head...hope Nana feels better soon.

7. AndreaP

AndreaP Registered User

Ditto on the antidepressant. If on the rare occasion I forget my morning dose by 7 pm that night I'm getting brain shocks.

If she is on an antidepressant and forgetting to take it every day this could well be the cause. Not actually a pain in my case but it feels like my brain twitches inside my head. Not a nice feeling at all.

8. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    No, it's horrible. And could easily be interpreted as pain I think.