Urgent advice needed-confusion

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Hi @Linsac, sorry to read your troubles, did the sample actually show an infection? Obviously UTI's do cause havoc but if your mum lives alone then this could just be a progression of her illness. My mum was in a terrible state when she lived alone, panic, aggression, constant anxiety, phone calls at all hrs etc. The world must become a terrifying place for our Pwd when there is no one there to help them navigate through the day. I moved in with her two years ago and she immediately dropped back to her old confused but calmer self. The Alz has progressed, but it's steady and slow so far. I do find if I leave her too long unattended she can quite rapidly work herself into a state over the simplest actions, ie putting her shoes on. Wishing you and your mum well

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Hi @Linsac, sorry to read your troubles, did the sample actually show an infection? Obviously UTI's do cause havoc but if your mum lives alone then this could just be a progression of her illness. My mum was in a terrible state when she lived alone, panic, aggression, constant anxiety, phone calls at all hrs etc. The world must become a terrifying place for our Pwd when there is no one there to help them navigate through the day. I moved in with her two years ago and she immediately dropped back to her old confused but calmer self. The Alz has progressed, but it's steady and slow so far. I do find if I leave her too long unattended she can quite rapidly work herself into a state over the simplest actions, ie putting her shoes on. Wishing you and your mum well
Hi Hayley the test did show an infection but I do think this lockdown has made her much more anxious and confused generally. I have the same as your mum, non stop calls, no sense of time and like you say, gets in s state over nothing When I am with her she seems better but the minute I leave, the calls start. She is lonely and I do think she needs company. Unfortunately she cannot live with us and she will not consider a live in carer or CH at the moment (she is still deemed as having capacity).

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Mum has just finished Nitrofurantion and trimethoprim.
Neither have worked.
Doctor not happy to introduce ‘ big gun’ antibiotic so I have purchased some D-Mannose from Holland and Barrett.
Not much to lose ( other than £15) I recon !
I will try and remember to report back on success!
Bicarb of soda and two pints of water work for me ! but it’s no cure for ‘ dignified drink sippers’ !

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm sure if doctors had to actually live with someone who has dementia and a urine infection, they wouldn't hesitate to use the big gun antibiotics @Weasell !

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I'm sure if doctors had to actually live with someone who has dementia and a urine infection, they wouldn't hesitate to use the big gun antibiotics @Weasell !
I could write a book on my ‘grim January’
‘ You have got a urine infection mum’ ! ‘ Don’t worry dear I will cut down on what I drink’! NO NO NO
The woman who can hardly move at times managed to nimbly shuffle right to the end of the bed in order to circa navigate the new pressure mat!
I tried the Bicarb cure last week when mum had been to the toilet at 3 4 and 5 am. So at 5 got her to try drinking it ( failure)
Two days later she was sick and the carers must have asked what caused it?
Mum told then it was the salt water she drank in the night so they have most likely got me labelled’ mother poisoner ‘ as well .

Thank goodness it’s February the score in January was mother 275 points and Weasell 0 points.

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Well something has got to happen today, mum was hysterical last night and I had to get an emergency carer out to her to calm her down. She was shouting at me, I don't think I have ever heard her raise her voice in my life. They put her to bed and checked on her later, all ok. I was awoken by the police at midnight, mum had called terrified and unaware where she was. I called her and calmed her, said I would be over in the morning. She rang a couple more times in the night, very confused.

Spoke to a locum GP yesterday morning who was not much help. Apparently she had Leukocytes in her urine but no infection. Mum was ok at this point so no more advice given.

Should I call GP again or go through OPMH services? I have the number of lead nurse there who is very helpful. It's clear she has delirium again which is how it all started last year. I've hardly slept, am not local to mum but will obviously head over to hers today and take whatever action is needed.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Linsac Sorry to hear about your mum. In view of her sudden decline, the fact that a urine infection has been ruled out, and the GP has said that the only other option is to get her admitted via A&E, in your position I would call 111. I can understand your concerns about a hospital admittance at the current time but speak to 111 and if she needs admitting then it's best that she goes to hospital as soon as possible so that they can thoroughly check her over and treat her. Is it possible that your mum may have covid? The elderly do not always display the 'common' covid symtoms such as a high temperature or cough, and delirium can be a possible indicator.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So sorry to hear about your mum @Linsac and I hope you get something sorted today. I agree with calling 111 to have your mum checked over, as it sounds like either the infection hasn't gone away or her dementia has progressed.
My mother has vascular dementia and I moved her into care as she was starting to do reckless things and I lived too far away to get their quickly to stop her. The only time she didn't know where she was was after a day when she'd been very upset about something she thought my brother had done and forgot to eat or drink because she was in such a state. By the next morning when my brother went over to sort things out, she was fine and had forgotten all about the night before. It was a sign that I needed to find a care home for her, and I moved her in to one a couple of months later.
It would not stop what is happening completely but do check she has been eating and drinking as that might help just a little bit. Good luck today.

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Thank you, the carer called 111 at 8am who have only just called back! Meanwhile I called the gp who is coming out to assess her in an hour. Mum of course is far less confused now and I’m sure will tell him she’s fine! Carer found the iron left on (I didn’t know she knew where it was) which is a real worry.

darthdodge

Oct 26, 2020
had the same with my dad before they diagnosed him with dementia. had 4 carers a day and they all said its a urine infection. they knew nothing all they cared about was money for there company. personal experience is its part of her dementia not urine infection

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Mum was admitted to hospital yesterday and was found to be suffering from severe constipation. We then today got the bombshell that she has also tested positive for Covid. Apparently Delirium is a known symptom in the elderly.

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
Thank you, the carer called 111 at 8am who have only just called back! Meanwhile I called the gp who is coming out to assess her in an hour. Mum of course is far less confused now and I’m sure will tell him she’s fine! Carer found the iron left on (I didn’t know she knew where it was) which is a real worry.
Just been out for a walk with my wife who has Alzheimer's,she normally has to walk very slow and has a stick.I said I would like to go for a walk later on my own as then I can walk briskly doing myself some good. She immediately started walking much quicker obviously thinking she was going to be left on her own. I just could not believe how she could walk that quickly.the brain really does work in a strange way

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Thank you, she is still in hospital. She is asymptomatic for Covid which is good news. The first few days after admission she was completely delirious. However, I spoke to her and her nurse yesterday and she sounded a lot brighter and less confused. The are doing 24 hour observations on her for the next 72 hours on her behaviour before they decide on the next steps.

I can't imagine for a minute that they will let her come home any time soon as she lives alone so it looks like it will be respite care for the time being.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Thank you, she is still in hospital. She is asymptomatic for Covid which is good news. The first few days after admission she was completely delirious. However, I spoke to her and her nurse yesterday and she sounded a lot brighter and less confused. The are doing 24 hour observations on her for the next 72 hours on her behaviour before they decide on the next steps.

I can't imagine for a minute that they will let her come home any time soon as she lives alone so it looks like it will be respite care for the time being.
Good news re asymptomatic. Yes, I didn't like to jump the gun and ask where she would be discharged to. Its probably a small mercy you can't visit, mum was in hospital 5wks a few years ago and the visiting almost every day was draining to say the least!

Are you looking at care homes for your mum or will it be down to the LA?

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Good news re asymptomatic. Yes, I didn't like to jump the gun and ask where she would be discharged to. Its probably a small mercy you can't visit, mum was in hospital 5wks a few years ago and the visiting almost every day was draining to say the least!

Are you looking at care homes for your mum or will it be down to the LA?
LA as her aftercare is provided by them due to being sectioned last year and being discharged on a section 117. I did have some say last time, it just took forever to organise! This time I would imagine they will just find her a place so she can be discharged quickly.

I've just spoken to the OT from the hospital and they are planning on keeping her in until after the weekend and then a couple of weeks respite. Hoping to speak to a doctor later as I've not spoke to one for a week-although totally understand that they are snowed under. Yes, in a perverse way it has been good to have a break and not have to visit every day!-at least I have a genuine reason!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman