Urgent advice needed-confusion

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Hi mum has been diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's after being admitted to an acute ward last summer suffering from delirium. She has been living fairly happily alone at home since discharge with 4 carers a day. She is very anxious and forgetful but on the whole has been ok. However, the last week she has become more and more confused. Today she didn't know where she was, who owned the house, panicking about being on her own all night, saying she wanted it to go back to how it was..no amount of reassuring could comfort her. She's not been like this since she was admitted last year.
My immediate thought was a urine infection but she says she is not suffering form any abdominal pain or trouble going to the toilet. Can an infection not have any physical symptoms or is this how Alzheimers can be, up and down so suddenly? I've left a message for the OPMH team to call me back and will be calling the GP first thing. Any advice much appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im guessing it is an infection. My OH went through a period of loads of UTIs and he didnt have any of the usual symptoms like lower abdominal pain, or even a temperature - it was just the behaviour that gave it away (in his case he lost mobility). Get the GP to check your mum

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My advice is get someone to see her quickly.
I am thinking INFECTION
Even if it is not infection a good check over is required.
Don’t be fobbed off!
It is a very, very bad time to fall and require hospitalisation at the moment.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Tip!
To get a urine sample.
Lift the toilet seat.
Drape cling film over the sides of the toilet bowl.
When you have a well then put the seat back down.

Do not leave the person unsupervised, if they flush the chain you have a problem.
Pray you get no more than a urine sample.

If you have a urine sample waiting for the professionals then it can make life a tiny bit easier.

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Tip!
To get a urine sample.
Lift the toilet seat.
Drape cling film over the sides of the toilet bowl.
When you have a well then put the seat back down.

Do not leave the person unsupervised, if they flush the chain you have a problem.
Pray you get no more than a urine sample.

If you have a urine sample waiting for the professionals then it can make life a tiny bit easier.
Good idea, thank you! I was wondering how I would get one from her.

Jane56

Jan 21, 2021
Delerium can last for months and recur at odd intervals. Google recurrent delerium to get more info....

She may just be a bit dehydrated for example. I would phone 111 and seek advice.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother went into hospital with a very bad water infection and was treated for it there - this was 9 years before she developed Alzheimer's. Her sodium levels fell very low causing her to be confused and forgetful. She returned to normal after this was treated. The doctor at the time seemed uncertain whether she would come back to herself.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
a plastic bowl ( V cheap in places like wilco), or an old ice cream container in the bowl works too, AND can be left there whilst you return PWD to their chair

Collecting urine from the clingfilm can be fun...not

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
If your using a bowl just remember to sterilise with hot water from a kettle I had this a year ago with my Mum and was told by the 111 doctor then to cling film it until they came out to home visit at the weekend

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
I spoke to her GP this morning, he agrees mostly likely a UTI so has prescribed antibiotics. I have got to drop a sample off today so will be going over armed with a bowl and clingfilm! Mum is furious and doesn't agree that there is anything wrong with her, then in the same breath asking why she is still in this strange house and where are all the others..it's going to be a fun day!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Wishing you well.
Obviously UTI is most likely.
I am going to speak the unspeakable. The younger members of my family have suffered side effects from their Covid jabs ( both brands) my mother had a chest infection that I have a very slight suspicion my have come from the jab. I realise that it is most likely I am completely wrong, and realise will never know ( because she may have just got one?)
If I was putting on a bet I would think the GP may give you

which can work on chest infections as well, but if all is not well in a few days, then I would request she gets someone to do a few basic checks.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Or nitrofurantoin

I don't doubt some will have side effects from the vaccine - I think you can often feel unwell after a flu jab.
I wonder if those who are affected are the ones who have not had Covid, even asymptomatically, so have no base immunity? We will never know!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Or nitrofurantoin

I don't doubt some will have side effects from the vaccine - I think you can often feel unwell after a flu jab.
I wonder if those who are affected are the ones who have not had Covid, even asymptomatically, so have no base immunity? We will never know!
That is an interesting question!
and you are correct! The information I have received has all come from people not previously infected. ( Life’s rich coincidence!)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Or nitrofurantoin

thats the one i have as allergic to penicillin

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
She has been given Nitrofurantoin. She has not had her vaccination yet, still impatiently waiting!

Managed to get the sample easily with a Tupperware container in the pan, thanks for the advice.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
She has been given Nitrofurantoin. She has not had her vaccination yet, still impatiently waiting!

Managed to get the sample easily with a Tupperware container in the pan, thanks for the advice.
Good guess @jennifer1967 !
Let us know how you get on @Linsac !
( Now where are you? Explain again ?????)

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Hi just following on from this-mum completed the course of antibiotics and the confusion did ease somewhat but now seems to be back with a vengeance. She was apparently verbally aggressive with the carer this afternoon which is very unlike her. Does anyone know how long delirium from an infection can last? I am going to call GP again tomorrow and get another urine test done in case it has not gone but at a loss otherwise as to why she has deteriorated so rapidly?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Check to see whether the infection has actually gone. OH had UTIs, given antibiotics and then when they stopped the infection flared up again,
I think this is the most likely explanation

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Check to see whether the infection has actually gone. OH had UTIs, given antibiotics and then when they stopped the infection flared up again,
I think this is the most likely explanation
Thanks Canary, I kind of hope that is the case as the GP says the only other option is to get her admitted via A&E. Really don't want to be doing that right now!