"Upstairs"

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Something horrid happened yesterday. My visit to mum was brief as she behaved so badly even I didnt feel guilty about leaving early, but on the way out I exchanged rueful glances with one of the carers who had overheard her remarks .
"She is gettin worse, isnt she" I said
He nodded
"She will have to be transferred upstairs soon" he said.

Now, I knew the nursing home had a unit upstairs of course but I thought this was just more rooms.
"Um whats upstairs then?" I asked
"the high dependency unit" he said.
Now given my mother has a broken arm, pelvis broken in two places rendering her immobile, very little sight left, mild incontinence, paranoia, memory loss, and is very aggresive, i hate to think whats upstairs!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Natasha, Is `upstairs` the EMI unit.

In the first home my mother was in, the ground floor was more or less sheltered accommodation and residents were allowed frredom of movement. The Middle floor was for those who needed nursing care, but had physical, rather than mental/emotional needs. The Top Floor, `upstairs` was the EMI unit, with combination locks on all doors and freedom of movement within the unit only.

Even if your mother`s immobile, the staff ratio is higher and she might be better with more attention.

I do sympathize. It must be so hard to keep visiting and have to cut the visits short. It`s all you can do though. Keep going, if she `s agreeable, stay.If she`s disagreeable, go.

And take care of yourself while you`re at it.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Natasha

That must have been upsetting for you. Could you not ask to see the upstairs unit? At least it would stop your imagination running riot.

I guess it's an EMI unit, which will be just like the room your mum is in now, but the entrance door will be locked to make sure that the patients can't get out. People can still move about within the unit, and it will have its own sitting room.

Try not to worry too much. If it keeps your mum safe, that will be reassuring for you.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Now if its anything like the one my mother was in for 3 mouths when she was in emergency respite last years , they have all the most amazing high tech in equipment , to help someone like your mother to get her in the bath or shower , restrooms , and yes combination locks

I hate to say this , it was a last stages NH unit top floor , but maybe all it is that your mother needs are higher , in her mobility , behavior .

They let my mother stay in one of those unit because it was near me .

I would go with this
That must have been upsetting for you. Could you not ask to see the upstairs unit

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Well

this is the trouble, she is already in a locked unit, there is a keypad on the doors and someone sits in an office all the time to let visitors in and make sure nobody inadvertantly slips out!
so I thought she already WAS in an EMI unit coz she was assesed as needing that sort of care due to her violent behaviour in hospital!
So I am dreading to think how bad the people in the upstairs bit might be??

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Is it possible it is considered she is upsetting other residents. Do you think that might be the reason, plus a higher staff ratio.

I`d do what Hazel suggests and ask to see `upstairs` if it is suggested she move there.

Just one more worry for you.:(

Love xx

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Not yet

Margarita said:
Natashalou did you ask to see upstairs ?

I only visited briefly today to take her a few things she needs , and she was quite peaceful, just talking utter rubbish but not aggresive for once.
Tomorrow, she goes to the fracture clinic and it may well be she will be taken into hosp for an op, she says her arm is still very painful and I dont know if this is normal 2.5 weeks after the break.
I suspect they will leave it, but I will talk to the manager as to whats happening about mums future once I know what the next few days holds for her.
thankyou for remembering!!

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Natashalou said:
she says her arm is still very painful and I dont know if this is normal 2.5 weeks after the break.

When I broke my wrist it was sore for weeks, the cast may be bothering your Mum, does she understand that she has a cast on to help her arm heal?

She will probably have more x rays and an operation if the bone isn't healing well, I'm sure they won't leave things as they are if there is a problem with it.

Kathleen

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Well

Kathleen said:
When I broke my wrist it was sore for weeks, the cast may be bothering your Mum, does she understand that she has a cast on to help her arm heal?

She will probably have more x rays and an operation if the bone isn't healing well, I'm sure they won't leave things as they are if there is a problem with it.

Kathleen
there isnt a cast and this has been part of the problem, its a break at the top and its in this kind of foam sling thing and she is meant to be keeping it still. Of course, she doesnt, and she has taken off the sling lots of times so I would be suprised if it isnt worse not better!!
Because she hates being in a wheelchair, she has been trying to get about on her frame using just one hand which makes her even more dangerous than befor as she has a broken pelvis too. !!
she doesnt understand any of the logic about doing what she is told, it is hopeless