Upset

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Everyone

Its about 10 days since my last post, and mum continues to deteriorate, so no good news I afraid.

I had a meeting with the senior nurse on Monday and they now suggest its time for mum’s own bed to go (it’s a 4ft divan), that she must now have one of their own single ‘hospital’ type beds because its difficult to lift and turn mum, and they need to put mum on an air mattress to help with the pressure areas. I know this is the absolute best thing for mum, but the thought did reduce me to tears, stupid I know.

It was also suggested that it was time for mum to move to the nursing floor, I was devastated about this, mum is so used to her nurses, and they are used to her, and her room has been her home for a long time now, I really didn’t want her to lose yet another home if that makes any sense. However a meeting with the manager and assurances to her by the nursing team that they can cope with mum, mum is staying put. Huge sigh of relief.

Yesterday I had a lovely visit. Mum was sound asleep, and did look so peaceful and comfortable and all snuggled up. They had one of their regular church services in the lounge. The organisation of which is something to witness, they brought all the residents who want to attend down from the other floors, so much moving around of wheelchairs in and out of the lift. It was a bit chaotic, some of the residents like to wander, others are a bit vocal in their own little world, but the warmth in the room was wonderful.

All that could joined in the hymn singing with gusto, prayers were said for the sick and their relatives and friends. We were also able to take communion. I sat with a resident who had just returned from a spell in hospital, and it was nice to hold her hand because my mum was too poorly to go. After the Service sandwiches, cakes and Sherry were passed around, and quite a party started, hymns were replaced by a Vera Lynn CD, I could hear the singing from mum’s room, it was so lovely.

I was given plates of food goodies and some Sherry for mum and me, she didn’t want any of the food, but did have a little drop of the Sherry, which she seemed to enjoy. I propped her door open so we could enjoy the sound of the singing coming from the lounge, in no time at all mum had drifted back off to sleep, but it’s a peaceful sleep, which I am thankful for.

Love to all

Cate

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Dear Cate:

It is sad to hear that your Mum's deterioration continues.

I do feel you should print and keep your last post - as a memory of the 'now'. You are obviously happy with the care she is getting and her state of peacefulness. These memories will be important to you in the future.

Take care Love Jan

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Cate. Sorry to read of mum's further deterioration.

You are doing all you can to maintain her quality of life, and I was so glad to read of the afternoon service which, in a small way, you were able to enjoy.

You, like so many, are playing the waiting game, but I hope you will have many more pleasant interludes to hold on to.

Take care.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Thank you Jan and Connie

Yes I certainly hope for more good memories, and your right I will print them to keep.

Love
Catexx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Cate

Your post moved me to tears as it reminded me of how things were for me but a few short weeks ago.

I do feel you should print and keep your last post - as a memory of the 'now'. You are obviously happy with the care she is getting and her state of peacefulness. These memories will be important to you in the future.

Jan hit the nail on the head here and it is something that I ahve recently done..printed out my last posts as a diary of Mum's last weeks of life. Re-reading them I find very comforting, along with everyone's comments at the time.

(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Enjoy the now when you can.

Love

Mameeskye