Updating LPA's

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi

When my late wife was first diagnosed, I put LPA's in place for both of us (both types) and we nominated each other as attorneys, plus our two sons.

One of our sons moved house recently and asked if there was anyone he needed to notify about the LPAs. I rang the OPG helpline and they said that the actual LPA's were never altered (change of address) however, if I emailed the details, they would add suitable notes on their system.

I happened to mention that my wife had passed away in January and he then requested that I send them my LPAs (and any certified copies), together with a covering letter (to include any address changes) plus a copy of my wife's death certificate. He also requested I send in my wife's LPA's (plus copies) however, as I explained that following her passing, I had already shredded all of her documents, so he asked me to note that on my covering letter.

I am not quite sure whether they will just amend or reissue my LPA's but I will update this post when I hear back.

Just thought I make people aware, as I didn't realise any actions were needed.

Regards
Phil

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my husband died I changed our mutual LPAs by adding my eldest granddaughter`s name to our son`s. I did this through a solicitor and changed my will at the same time.