Update

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
Hello everybody,

It's been a while since I last checked in. I think I've already posted that MH is now in dementia care. It's been 3 weeks and he has settled in ok and is now eating and drinking well. The bad news is that having finally got over my cold, I was planning to visit him, when I tripped and fell, breaking my wrist. All I can say is, it could have been worse, but now, of course, I am unable to visit MH as often as I'd like. Luckily, a very generous local, has offered to drive me down once a week. I managed a visit last week and MH still recognised me and was rapt to be reunited with our dog. I am just praying I will be out of plaster by Christmas, which will be 7 weeks from the time of my fall. I spent 2 nights in hospital as my wrist had to be manipulated under a general anaesthetic.

Since MH went into care, I have been a basket case. I feel a bit better now. I think what has been subconciously bothering me, was not knowing what caused MH's dementia. I was never convinced he had vascular dementia which was the diagnosis the hospital came up with although there were no obvious signs of it on his CT scan. However, I was doing some research online tonight and think I might have the answer. Recent research has tentatively made a connection between the herpes virus and dementia. MH was plagued with cold sores all our married life, so it seems that might be the cause. For some reason this knowledge has given me great relief because for ages I thought it might have been due to a B12 deficiency for which I blamed myself for not picking up.

I hope you're all bearing up under yet another lockdown!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Recent research has tentatively made a connection between the herpes virus and dementia.

There have been many such researches in the past and `tentatively ` is the key word.

There are many dementias and just as many theories. I doubt everyone who has suffered with cold sores ends up with dementia in the same way not everyone with a B12 deficiency ends up with dementia either. My husband never had a cold sore in his life, nor did he have a B12 deficiency . He did have diabetes which can be a possible trigger for dementia but even then not every diabetic gets dementia.

I think this is why it is so difficult to find a specific cause or a cure.

Sorry about your broken wrist but pleased your husband has settled well in residential care.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so glad your husband has settled into his care home. I hope your wrist heals soon.

Im sure that his dementia is nothing to do with anything that you did, or did not do. Vit B12 deficiency can give dementia-like symptoms, but once that deficiency is treated the symptoms go away and it doesnt cause dementia. No-one really knows the cause of dementia and I think the media focussing on life-style is less than helpful. I know we all want to find reasons for things, but sometimes things just happen (Id like to use a different expression, but it wouldnt get past the profanity bots!).

Please be at peace and borrow the DTP stick to give that guilt monster a right bashing.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan