Update re Speech and Language Therapy

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
The Team Leader did ring me back today as promised and she has spoken to the Speech and Language Therapist. I just happen to be very fortunate because there is only 1 therapist and she has to limit who she can take on. She only takes on people who have seen a particular Psychogeriatrician and it happens to be the one that Alan has seen in the past:):)

So now I have written to the S & L Therapist sending her a copy letter that I have written to the Psychogeriatrician and Alan's GP. I did this just so that there can be no misunderstandings or relying on poor communication;)

It should be quick now for an assessment.

Watch this space.

Love

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That is good news. Mind you, what about those people who are seen by other Psychogeriatricians? I didn't think the NHS were allowed to cherry-pick patients. I am very pleased for you but it does seem rather odd doesn't it?

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Jennifer

It does seem very unfair but I have been hustling and bustling today trying to get everything sorted that I haven't really had time to process anything other than realise that we are fortunate.

Love

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Helen

Well we have never seen a Psychogeriatrician!! - I wonder maybe whether that is due to the fact that David is quite young to have the problems he has....

Really interested tho' to hear how you get on..

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sue

Alan hadn't seen one until I heard about something on TP and asked the GP to refer us to one. I can't remember the events that made me realise that Alan could do with seeing someone but it was probably because he was showing a little paranoia. I now think that this paranoia is speech and language based but I will hold judgement on this for the moment.

It was a waste of time because she was useless but at least he will be on the system somewhere.

Sue, are you making further enquiries about what might be available your end with regard to help with speech and language? I know you've had very poor experiences but you could use them in your favour to get better treatment now;)

Thanks for your good wishes Sam:)

Love

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hello Helen

I must admit I have done nothing more re: Speech Therapy for David. After the last experience I really didn't feel it was of any benefit for him - but that doesn't mean Alan won't benefit.

We went for a walk this evening and I have come to the conclusion that David is just so stubborn! He really doesn't think there is anything wrong with his speech and it is my problem! - He seems to think everyone else understands him except me! - I have explained as nicely as I could :rolleyes::rolleyes: that other people are too polite to say they don't understand, but he thinks that's untrue!

I therefore cannot see how he will benefit from further Speech Therapy - afterall he needs to be a willing patient and he is certainly not that! Added to that the fact that he would need to see a Psychogeriatrician first - he has insisted that he does not want to see any more Consultants....

I am however very interested to hear how Alan gets on as I agree with you that they both seem to have very similar problems.

Good luck tomorrow.:)
Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sue

Added to that the fact that he would need to see a Psychogeriatrician first

This part is just the way they manage the number of assessments in this team. It's not going to be a national guideline;)

Even if Alan refused to see one, I would request to see one for myself so that I could learn to handle this problem in the best possible ways;) My expectations are quite high because of all the experience this S&L Therapist must have but realistically if I only gain one thing that can help Alan then that will be a bonus. I will, of course, share any information and guidance that we receive with you and whoever else might be interested.

Thanks for your best wishes for tomorrow. I really hope it won't need surgery but I think it will have to be re-done.

Love

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Helen,

It is promising that they rang you back 'as promised'.

Sounds like they have a very specific protocol for referrals, but as you said, being so focused - they should know what they're talking about.

Your idea about getting ideas to facilitate communication with Alan sounds realistic and hopefully achievable.

I think that is always the difficult tightrope to walk. On the one hand, my instinct is constantly to look for new ideas, resources, etc. But on the other hand, I have to accept that the actual effects that any thing (medication, bath lift, ...) can achieve are actually beyond my control (assuming they've been managed properly).

It seems like a constant case of managing expectations, without giving up on efforts to improve quality of life.

Take care,

Sandy