Update re Alan's Passport interview

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
We got the letter through today for Alan to attend an interview for his Passport. I have repeatedly told them that he is unlikely to be able to answer any questions and that I'll bring along a letter from his GP and a power of attorney. They informed me on the phone today that he will need to answer questions and that no one else is allowed to answer for him. Originally they said he would be interviewed alone but I said I would need to be there with him and they did concede on this point. I also said that he would need time and that half an hour would not be enough time for Alan to settle and feel comfortable. They have given him an hour.

On the one hand I am really relieved that this appointment has come through and on the other I am dreading what lies in front. The man on the phone sounded sympathetic and said they will do all they can to sort this out but they seem very uninformed about dementias of any kind:eek::confused:

Anyway will you all wish us luck. I somewhere feel confident that it'll be alright when they meet him (and me). I feel confident that they will see that Alan has the capability of benefitting from going abroad and shouldn't be denied a passport because he is ill and can't answer questions.

Love to you all

Helen:)

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Thanks Sylvia. Just think if I hadn't come across Talking Point, I'd feel so very much alone with it. I feel fairly confident and strong because I really do feel supported and have somewhere to offload. Also, of course, it helps believing that people actually care:):)

Love Helen

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Just wanted to say that tomorrow's the day. I spent time today trying to explain to Alan what they were likely to ask like "is this your signature?" and I knew he didn't understand me.:eek:
I asked him his mother's name and he didn't know:eek:

I hope they'll let me get around this another way by asking Alan to show that he can sign his name (which he still can) although he isn't confident about it like he used to be. Also regarding his mother's name if I said "is it Mabel Jones?" he would know that it wasn't. If I said "is it .............?" he would know that it was correct.

I'm sorry to be wittering on about it here because there's nothing anyone can do but it just helps to get it out. We'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Love to you all

Helen:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Helen - do you know for sure what sort of information they'll be asking about? Because as I understand it, the purpose of the interview is to ensure that the person getting the passport is the person who is applying for the passport and that they are entitled to a UK passport. It's unfortunate that you're applying now rather than a few years down the road, because I suspect that they won't have had many applicants with dementia. In other words: you're going to be practiced on and sometimes when new systems are set up (like this one) it takes a while for them to work out how to handle people who don't fit the mold. Good luck anyway.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen.
Have you been asked to take other ID for Alan, like marriage certificate and Utility Bills, or are you past that stage.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Helen,

I've no experiemce of this but I would take along everything...

Birth Cerificate, Marriage certificate, verified photo..and anything else that proves identity...take more rather than less.

Hoping it will be ok!

Love gigi xx

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi All

I asked them whether I should bring certain ID things and they said "no". I am taking Power of Attorney, Letter from the Consultant giving diagnosis, my Passport, letter from Social Services giving me authority to act on Alan's behalf.

I did get the distinct impression that they didn't have a clue but I have decided Alan should not be refused a passport because he has an illness and I will refuse to go and call the BBC if needs must. I still really feel that they will be more inclined to let me help him once they meet him in person. Hope this is not my prejudice and I've just realised I'm saying "I believe they will see in him what I see" but maybe they'll be shocked :eek:

Love Helen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson