Update re Alan's eye

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

It's a mystery:confused:

First of all the hospital staff were marvellous with Alan. We've always had marvellous treatment when it is not dementia related. The nurse who tested Alan's eyes was excellent with him. She assured us from the outset that if it was what she was thinking from what I was telling her, then it would be a very quick application of the laser (less than 5 minutes). Alan completed the eye test with both eyes.

The nurse then went to speak to the doctor and he said he wanted to have a really good look so she applied some drops in both Alan's eyes. The doctor did a thorough examination and said that the eye was perfect apart from a tiny amount of creasing which wouldn't cause a problem):confused: I asked him loads and loads of questions and told the doctor it was because I was certain of what Alan was saying and there must be some reason that his vision is blurred. The doctor assured me that the eye was absolutely fine. I had to leave it at that because I could see that we were not being fobbed off and that Alan had had a proper examination.

It is now a mystery. There has to be some cause but I have logged it here and in my blog and I am going to mentioned it to Alan's GP (as well as the event with his finger ends). It may be a progression of the disease - who knows. It is recorded and I will now monitor anything new that happens - just in case.

So thank goodness it won't mean surgery or any further hospital visits (this hospital is further away than our local one and is a pain in the neck to park there).

It's back to life as normal here. I've decided I've done all I can for the moment and to just put it away and get on with everyday living. Next week the w/e in-house respite issue starts up again as the SW will be back from her break. Then there is the S & L therapy issue in the pipeline. So I am going to make the most of a bit of peace and (dare I say it) 'normality' for the next few days;)

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

I don`t know whether you should feel relieved or not.
It`s good news there`s nothing wrong with Alan`s eyes but there must be some reason for the symptoms and the discolouration in his fingertips. No doubt you`ll find out eventually.
Meanwhile ` life goes on`. :)
Love xx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hello Helen

Well I suppose that if it had been something serious they would have found it with their thorough examinations - so I would imagine you should be feeling rather relieved - even if you aren't!!

Try and relax and enjoy the sun - hopefully there is some where you are:cool::cool::cool:

Love

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Helen
Pleased to read that Alan's eye is nothing serious.It was good that you managed to get in so quickly to see someone:)

Love Julie xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It is now a mystery. There has to be some cause but I have logged it here and in my blog and I am going to mentioned it to Alan's GP (as well as the event with his finger ends). It may be a progression of the disease - who knows. It is recorded and I will now monitor anything new that happens - just in case.

Helen, I'm glad to hear everything is fine with Alan's eyes. I suspect you are right - it may be a progression of the disease. Not so much that something is organically wrong but the brain's interpretation of the images coming in.

Enjoy your normality.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I can see why this would leave you feeling uncertain. I assume that Alan no longer has one pupil bigger than the other? Or is it still like that but for no apparent reason?

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Jennifer

The pupils came back to normal after about half to one hour. The nurse tested his pupils and immediately said that the right one was a lot less responsive.

I'm just leaving it now because if it's anything that is changed or changing it isn't going to go away and I will deal with it as and when!! I've decided that he isn't in pain, he isn't uncomfortable and his vision might be blurred but the doctor said he would pass the DVLA test and not need glasses!! He can paint within the lines. So it is something but not something obvious and therefore not something that anybody can do anything about.

Alan is resting on the bed. He came down for lunch and wanted to go back to rest. I am really tired so I am just resting in peace.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen..

That's really good news....:)

I'm just leaving it now because if it's anything that is changed or changing it isn't going to go away and I will deal with it as and when!!

And a very sensible attitude..as long as Alan is now ok..."if it ain't broke..don't try to fix it"..

Pleased for you both. Enjoy some peaceful days together...:D

love xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson