Update on the Occupational Therapist A xvisit yesterday

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Hi...the visit went well...P went straight into the “I’m ok I’m fine “...but it didn’t take long for her experienced eye to see how he was..Anyway she’s very concerned about his mobility and his distraction ..so another stair rail and one for beside the bed ..((we already have grab rails in the shower and beside the toilet.))..small corner seat in the shower.There where other aids but he would entertain have them but they have been noted for 6 months time. The biggest result is that she coming back with a walking stick and going to take him for a walk next week...he has fought so long not to use a stick but our lady managed to persuade him I’m so pleased because he’s always distracted can’t concentrate and that’s when he loses balance and falls ..he broke his arm a few months back.
Also have to remove bath mats and either buy non slip ones. I wonder is there a non slip type vinolay?
Regards A x

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I hope you find the right type of bath mat for him. Mats in general can be a real trip hazard - when my grandfather was about 95 he tripped over the front door mat and fell headlong through the plate glass in the porch, he was in hospital for a week. OT visited and put in various aids like grab rails and also removed the mats!

Do you think your dad will use the walking stick? My mother has had one for over a year and she is quite wobbly, she fell and broke her hip a couple of months ago, but she absolutely refuses to use any walking aids. She's in a care home now and the only help she will accept is holding a carer's arm.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I have to hand it to our local OT lady, she was super.
My husband said he was fine too, he said I’m not having any of those things, don’t need them, won’t use them.
Well in that case she said, you will have to stay upstairs. Ok, we will have another handrail! And all the other aids too. All used now all the time.
I’m glad your visit went well @Starbright.
Needing help from local services has been a hard pill to swallow, as we have been lucky enough never to have needed anything from anyone. But our life now is so different and in such a very short time, and I’m so grateful for any help or support I can get.
Take care, Bx

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you @nitram will check your pointers, have removed the bath mats OH remarked “ erm this stone floor is really cold where are the mats” In the wash was my reply ..I think maybe I need to get the floor sorted quickly.

A x

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
@Sirena ...I have been trying for a long time to get OH to use a walking stick ..his stroke consultant and memory nurse also tried to persuade him all to no avail ...then along comes OT and she was so good.. but we will see next week if he does use it with her...She did say he was very strong willed and in the end we can only try, in other words you can take a horse to horse to water but cannot make it drink.;);)
A x

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Hi @Sad Staffs ...you are so right ,it’s really hard to accept help my OH thinks it’s like giving in ...I on the hand just think it’s time to accept the help that’s offered if it makes life a tad bit easier.

TP is my go to lifeline when it’s gets tough and when I read some of the posts and the enormous difficulties some people have it’s very humbling.
Here’s a ((hug )). A x