Update on Rupert

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
Rupert fractured his femour last sunday week after a fall in the middle of the night and had to have two pins put in. After a week in hospital 20 miles away, he is being transfered to our local comunity hospital today, which will be much easier for visiting.
He has had some good days when he's been more wakeful and has been able to sit in a chair, and some days when he's been very sleepy all the time, and stayed in his bed, his blood pressure dropped a couple of days ago, but was ok yesterday.
One of the nurses there was very pesemistic about him ever being able to walk again, as he was not able to understand what or what not to do, but he's a fighter, and I think he will eventually be able to come home, with a bit more help for me. Though I know at the moment I wouldn't be able to lift him on my own. He can be very stubborn, and if he doesn't want to get up, no way can I make him.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Jane

Glad the operation went well, and that Rupert will be nearer home in the local community hospital.

The sleepiness may just have been the knock-on effect on meds for & after his operation, and the unfamiliar surroundings. I know that sometimes if I take Mum out somewhere with me and she gets bored, she seems to 'hide behind' closed eyelids to shut out the world, even though she's not actually asleep.

I hope you find that Rupert will be able to strike a good one-to-one relationship with the physiotherapist in charge of his rehab., and they can work as a team to achieve the best result. Perhaps you could have a chat with the physio, explaining about Ruperts's dementia (which will not be the same as anyone else's) & what might be the best approach for him. Some of the physio staff can be a bit Sergeant-Major'ish!! :eek: Not the best way to approach Rupert if he's a tendency to be stubborn.

Best wishes

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Jane:

It is good to hear from you and at least you have the op. behind you both now. When my husband broke his ribs in Feb. I was very concerned about his walking again properly (mobility was already deteriorating without a trauma).

He does just about walk now. The physios did have problems with getting him to remember what he was to do. Like your Rupert he was stubborn to the point of thinking he knew best :eek:

But I do realise that he is far less mobile now and I tend to have a wheelchair behind him when he walks from room to room (not so much of that either nowadays).

When Rupert is due for discharge you should get a review of how you will cope. Hopefully some community care and support will
be available. Try to take advantage of any help offered, believe me you will need it.

I also understand about the easier visiting with a local hospital - it takes some stress away for you.

Best wishes Jan