Update on my situation

TimT

May 11, 2015
On the 3rd August I sent in a new application for Attendance Allowance for my mother. Yesterday, 22nd, I got a reply confirming that my application was successful! Third time lucky! When I filled in the form I just gave them 2 A4 pages detailing the things I do for her plus any incidents that show how vulnerable she is. It worked, because they gave her the higher-rate AA, from memory I think it's £82.30 a week. In fact they backdated it to the 18/7/2015, over £400 in her account already. Financially she's not badly off, with both a basic state pension and a widows pension but it's not even £1000 a month, so this will really help. I'm just glad it's not means tested; you know how tight they can be. Now I can focus on trying to apply for Carer's Allowance.

If anyone is in my position trying and failing to apply for AA, just keep persevering. Make a note of everything you do for them and incidents showing their vulnerability!

Thanks all! That's a weight off my mind!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Well done. It took me hours to fill in the form.
Claiming carers allowance is much easier - you can do it on-line. :D

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Can a wife, 85 years old get carers allowance?

. Eligibility
You
You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
you’re 16 or over
you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
you’re not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - don’t count your pension as income

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
In the info contained in the link, (under 'eligibility') it says you might not get it if you receive State Pension.
However it may increase your benefits slightly.
I have always understood it is not paid as a separate allowance to those on State Pension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife