1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Update on my situation

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by TimT, Aug 23, 2015.

1. TimT

TimT Registered User

May 11, 2015
    On the 3rd August I sent in a new application for Attendance Allowance for my mother. Yesterday, 22nd, I got a reply confirming that my application was successful! Third time lucky! When I filled in the form I just gave them 2 A4 pages detailing the things I do for her plus any incidents that show how vulnerable she is. It worked, because they gave her the higher-rate AA, from memory I think it's £82.30 a week. In fact they backdated it to the 18/7/2015, over £400 in her account already. Financially she's not badly off, with both a basic state pension and a widows pension but it's not even £1000 a month, so this will really help. I'm just glad it's not means tested; you know how tight they can be. Now I can focus on trying to apply for Carer's Allowance.

If anyone is in my position trying and failing to apply for AA, just keep persevering. Make a note of everything you do for them and incidents showing their vulnerability!

Thanks all! That's a weight off my mind!

2. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Well done Tim, got there in the end !

3. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Well done. It took me hours to fill in the form.
    Claiming carers allowance is much easier - you can do it on-line. :D

4. TimT

TimT Registered User

May 11, 2015
    Yep, just sent it. :D

5. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Well done Tim.

6. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    So pleased you have got AA sorted. Don't forget the council tax discount application too if you haven't already done it.

7. susy

susy Registered User

Jul 29, 2013
    North East
    Can a wife, 85 years old get carers allowance?

8. jimbo 111

jimbo 111 Registered User

Jan 23, 2009
    North Bucks
    . Eligibility
    You
    You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
    you’re 16 or over
    you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
    you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    you’re not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
    you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - don’t count your pension as income

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

9. susy

susy Registered User

Jul 29, 2013
    North East
    Thank you x

10. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    In the info contained in the link, (under 'eligibility') it says you might not get it if you receive State Pension.
    However it may increase your benefits slightly.
    I have always understood it is not paid as a separate allowance to those on State Pension.