UPDATE on my mum....

Michelle-A

Feb 5, 2005
Essex
Hi, I haven't been on the site for a while because things have been so manic.

Mum went into hospital almost four weeks ago now. So much has happened since then that I could spend all night writing about it. Basically things have gone from bad to worse. Mum has multiple absesses in her liver. They've also spread to her stomach. They have drained about four of them now but can't puncture the liver any more so the rest have to be treated with anti-biotics. Trouble is though they're not sure the treatment is gonna work and they won't operate on her because she wouldn't survive an operation.

She's barely eaten since she's been in there. She's had numerous blood transfusions. They have done tests on the poison that has come from the absesses and they don't know what or where it's come from. Mum looks so frail, scared and in pain.

Things got worse last week and something scary happened. She began twitching and making a strange sound, both her arms went up into the air (she hasn't been able to use her left arm for the past three years due to her parkinsons) and her whole body began to shake. All of a sudden she went limp and her head fell to one side ..... I thought I had just seen my mum die. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen, really quite spooky! For ten minutes of my life while we waited outside the room I thought my mum had died. I can't explain what that felt like. A doctor came out and told us mum was still breathing and that she had had a seizure and they had sedated her to to keep her comfortable. They told us that it was looking like she wouldn't make it through the week. Six days on and she is still fighting this.

They have done numerous scans on her body and on her brain because they thought the absesses had spread to the brain!! - luckily they hadn't. We are currently waiting to find out what to expect next. It's been like a rollercoaster of a week, one minute we're told she could be dying then she seems to be improving. I'm confused and don't know how to feel. They're not sure why she had a seizure? - whether it's due to the absesses or if it's the dementia. Are seizures a normal part of dementia?? has anyone else experienced this? - I'm so scared it'll happen again and and can't stop thinking about it - it was freaky!

We should find out this week after mums scans whether the treatment is working. They want to know how far to take treatment, because they're not sure mum is gonna fight this infection. She's got tubes coming from everywhere, she's not eating, and is suffering so much. Thing is though, how can we ever tell them enough is enough. I'm soooo scared of losing my mum! She's in Manchester and we're so far away. We've been there all week, and keep going back, but I'm frigtened of not being there if something happens.

Michelle :(

Last edited:

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Dear Michelle

So sorry to hear about you experience over the past few days. Hope things are settling down. I know from experience that these seizures can sometimes be due to the poisons from the abscesses. Hopefully antibiotics will help. I feel for you, as I'm also in Essex and my Dad is in Liverpool. It seems like such a long way. Take care, Katex

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My wife Jan has had many 'seizures'. I call the ones she had at home 'faints' though the medics liked to call them 'fits' [they weren't]. Now she is in a care home she has had major real fits with twitching all over and they have thought her dead on one occasion.

At home she would faint around breakfast time and, more alarmingly, in her sleep in the middle of the night. On several occations she fainted in her sleep and I thought she was dead.

The only time she had major problems twitching was when a GP had presectibed far too strong a dosage of Seroxat.

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Hi Michelle

So sorry to hear about your Mum and don't think there's anything I can say to make you feel better at this terrible. Just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mandy X