Update on my mam

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Some of you will remember that my mam was banned from the day centre because of her aggression and violence. Well, she's been accepted back, tentatively, for one day a week. She went last Friday and things went reasonably well - not perfect, but reasonable. So obviously things will have to be monitored.

And dad has sorted out a new pattern of respite. Some of you may know that mam's last respite was horrible - basically she was neglected and was in a terrible state when she came home, and dad was devastated. It's taken a lot of courage for him to accept respite again - obviously not at that particular home.

So, the new regime is going to be one night's respite every week! I think this is an excellent idea for them both. Mam can't come to much harm in just one night, dad will have the better part of two days free, and he won't worry so much while she's there because it's only one night.

So mam will go to respite on a Monday, stay overnight, be collected after tea on the Tuesday, and go to the day centre for a few hours every Friday.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us that this works out. We really need it to.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello CG

At least your dad has been able to make a decision about respite for himself . It sounds ideal. I do hope it works and I do hope it helps him.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello College Girl, that does sound better for both your mum and dad. Hope your recovery is going well.

turbo

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you Sylvia and Turbo. I really hope it helps. For dad to have this very regular but short respite will allow him to have a life outside of dementia, time for his family, his friends and his garden. I'm praying it works.

Harp

Sep 19, 2013
That's lovely - I hope it all works out at the day centre and for your dad.:)

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Hi, this sounds like a great solution, so pleased for you and your poor Dad, hopefully this will allow him to care for her at home even longer. My fingers are crossed that this will work for you all. Good luck to you all xx

Ange

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Lots of Positive Vibes & Support

Hello C Girl , Just catching up on T P after being at Work & am pleased your Dad has sorted out some respite & also pleased your Mum is able too start Day Club again :) Lots of positive vibes & support for you all especially your Dad ( & of course your Mam also )

( Sending healthy vibes for you also for a good recovery )

Love Grove x x x

P S .... So sorry :( the last respite was so awful & hope you complained ? sorry think I missed reading about it x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
EVERYTHING crossed ...

Maybe a new routine will be the answer - I do hope so
xxxxx

Attachments

• keep-calm-and-fingers-crossed-5 (549x640).jpg
    keep-calm-and-fingers-crossed-5 (549x640).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 432

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Aw thank you everyone, you really help to keep up my spirits. Hope dad manages to get her there tomorrow. I'm not sure if he'll be able to arrange the respite to start on Monday or if will be too short notice for the home, but with all your fingers and other bits and pieces crossed, let's hope so!

xxx

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
What a fantastic idea the regular 1 night respite is. I really hope it works out well for both your dad and mam.

It might be something I could try as I've been too chicken to try week long respite. Glad I came back here today - TP is full of brilliant ideas - thank you College Girl for sharing

x

zigandzag

Mar 24, 2012
Birmingham
So so so pleased for you CG. U will all be in my prayers tonight. My mom got banned from ring and ride recently too! Another tale...... Really hope it all works out for u xxx