update on mum still in hospital

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
Hi everybody,
Well, it's been over three weeks since mum was admitted to hospital with aspiration pneumonia. Since then she's had another stroke- this time on her right side and another bout of pneumonia. She's still fighting but is not yet swallowing which means she's been on a drip for three weeks with no other nutrients as she won't tolerate a naso gastric tube.
I honestly don't know how she's still here but she is and she still wakes up and recognises us. Yesterday she asked me what had I got to eat!!!

The hospital are amazing and the consultant is very honest. He said that if she has a third bout of pneumonia they might not be able to treat her with anymore antibiotics as the second course has given her diarrohea.

I'm so up and down with it all. I have made it clear that I will not be able to make a decision to withdraw treatment. I have had to dig very deep to make this decision but mum and I never talked about end of life and she is such a fighter that I cannot make this decision on her behalf. I have said to the consultant that I will support a medical decision if it is in her best interests.

So, I don't know where we are going at the moment. I do know that mum is getting the best care possible and it has brought her partner and me closer together.

Just have to wait and see what's next.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Oh Tarika,
Your life must be in limbo at the moment. If your mum is still fighting she may pull through. I am so glad that she is getting such amazing care and this has brought you and your partner together.
Love and prayers
Jancis

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Tarika, this must all be so difficult for you. I'm pleased that you are happy with the care your Mum is receiving. Please look after yourself.

Turbo

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Tarika:
Thank you for updating us. Your Mother is remarkable having gone through all that and still fighting.

You have much to cope with and thankfully you and your Mum's partner are closer now.