UPDATE ON MUM AFTER HIP SURGERY

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi to everyone. I felt I needed to update. It's now 3 weeks since mum had her hip surgery. She also fractured her knee in the fall. She is not mobile at all. The hospital have informed me that she is having 2 hourly turnarounds so she doesn't develop any sores. She is being hoisted from bed to chair. This is a complete turnaround to how she was before!! The hospital have said that she may need to go into a nursing home which last week I was being told that she could go back to the same CH as she was in before. I did raise concerns whether they could manage her needs!! A further assessment is being made by a discharge nurse....

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Roman223 , your poor mum has really had a time of it hasn't she. I'm glad the hospital are revising where she'll be discharged to, as it sounds like her needs have increased a lot.
Are you able to get in to see her to judge for yourself how things are?

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi @Roman223 , your poor mum has really had a time of it hasn't she. I'm glad the hospital are revising where she'll be discharged to, as it sounds like her needs have increased a lot.
Are you able to get in to see her to judge for yourself how things are?
Hi Sarasa: I visited mum a week after her operation. I was there over an hour or so but she kept drifting in and out of consciousness. So I probably only got 5 mins if that with her. I asked her if she remembered who I was and she did. She looked better than I was expecting!! But after she was just talking gobbldy ..... Unfortunately the hospital is the other side of the city and I don't have transport. But I'm hoping to go & see her this week.

Last week I raised a lot of issues & concerns with various hospital professionals about the CH Mum was in! & this week have been told mum meets the criteria for a nursing home as her needs have changed. (I hope mum will be alright moving somewhere else as I feel I'm on a merry go round which I'm sure a lot of us on here are experiencing!? Thank you for your concern Sarasa x

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Unfortunately she may not regain all the mobility she had before the fall. Motivation might be a factor, how determined she is to do physiotherapy and rebuild her strength. My mother fell at home and broke her hip. She wasn't motivated enough and sometimes refused to do physiotherapy and she never walked unaided again. You may conclude that the nursing home is best.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Unfortunately she may not regain all the mobility she had before the fall. Motivation might be a factor, how determined she is to do physiotherapy and rebuild her strength. My mother fell at home and broke her hip. She wasn't motivated enough and sometimes refused to do physiotherapy and she never walked unaided again. You may conclude that the nursing home is best.
Hi
Hi MartinWL: I too am of the opinion that mum may never walk again! The drs have said there is a 50% chance she may not be mobile again. I know physio's have tried a number of times and mum has managed to stand for a short while on a rotunda. Unfortunately her knee is giving her lots of pain. Plus with her not being able to fully understand the physio I think that will be a problem. You mention that your mum broke her hip. Did she walk again?Thanks for your post.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do not worry about her moving to a new home. You were not happy with the last one and now is the best time for her to go to another one to save further moves. I do hope you find one that will better meet her needs and you are happy with
xx

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Do not worry about her moving to a new home. You were not happy with the last one and now is the best time for her to go to another one to save further moves. I do hope you find one that will better meet her needs and you are happy with
xx
Thank you Canary: I really hope so too. I just want mum happy, settled and looked after. Hopefully with less issues. X x

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I agree with canary that as you were not happy with the previous home, this is an ideal opportunity to look for a new one with the help of the hospital discharge team.

Not all care homes are the same, the one where my mum lived were willing to hoist residents from bed to chair using a mobile house and also to do two hourly turns so mum did not need to move to a nursing home. After a stay in hospital when mum acquired pressure sores due to being left in bed for six days, the care home arranged for her to have an air mattress and a wedge for her heels from the district nurse. They checked on her every hour through the night, turning her every two hours despite her aggression when disturbed and ensured that she stood up to reseat her during the day when in a chair. They seemed to have an excellent relationship with the district nurses who came every day to change her bandages so we were grateful that mum did not have to move homes.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
I agree with canary that as you were not happy with the previous home, this is an ideal opportunity to look for a new one with the help of the hospital discharge team.

Not all care homes are the same, the one where my mum lived were willing to hoist residents from bed to chair using a mobile house and also to do two hourly turns so mum did not need to move to a nursing home. After a stay in hospital when mum acquired pressure sores due to being left in bed for six days, the care home arranged for her to have an air mattress and a wedge for her heels from the district nurse. They checked on her every hour through the night, turning her every two hours despite her aggression when disturbed and ensured that she stood up to reseat her during the day when in a chair. They seemed to have an excellent relationship with the district nurses who came every day to change her bandages so we were grateful that mum did not have to move homes.
Hi Lynmax: I appreciate your reply. I know there have been many issues with the current Home but I keep thinking and doubting the next move! She will have got used to the carers etc or is it like the hospital say 'She will have forgotten' after 3/4 weeks in hospital! I think I have just lost confidence in society overall. I keep thinking of all these what ifs!? My brain is racing all the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet