Update on Lionel

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie, love, you know it's the UTI.

You can't help feeling hurt, but it's not Lionel, is it?

He'll be adoring his beautiful Con again before long!:)

Love and hugs,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
So painful for you, dear Connie. I'm sure Hazel is right. The UTI is the real culprit. But it is very hard when others can evoke the smiles and you can't.
Sending you big {{{HUGS}}}

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie,

That is what happened to me last night, when Dhiren looked at me as a stranger. It`s hard to explain the feeling of rejection but that`s what it is.

Dhiren is fine this morning, although there`s no saying how long it will last, and I hope Lionel will be fine with you, once he feels better too.

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Better day today

Lionel was in a much better mood with me today.

I arrived quite early, and was able to help one of the senior staff was and dress Lionel ready for the day. However breakfast was a no-no, and for a good hour he would not let me attempt to shave him.

Wanted him looking his best. Old schoolfriends were visiting, and it was so lovely that he recognised his friend, who was also Lionel's "best man" many years ago.
Ate a good lunch and then slept for most of the afternoon. Looked peaceful though.

Attaching todays latest picture. He looks so much older than his friends now.

Attachments

• G P Lionel.JPG
    G P Lionel.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 457

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Connie,
You are so patient and resourceful, I am glad you managed to get Lionel spruced up in the end, and how wonderful that he recognised his friend!
I know comparisons are almost always painful, but I hope you will be able to treasure the memory of a good day today.
Best wishes! C.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie, I'm so glad Lionel was in a better mood today, and was able to recognise his friends.

He's lost a lot of weight, though, hasn't he? Has he got over his UTI?

Love,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Connie,

I'm so glad things were better today and what lovely friends in the photo. It will be a nice day for you to remember.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie,
How lovely for his friend that Lionel recognized him, and what good friends they are to keep contact. It must be so good for you.
Lionel does seem to have lost more weight.
It doesn`t get any easier does it.
Take care
Love xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Connie, that's good news about Lionel's change of mood towards you. So glad his friends were able to come along today. Things always feel a bit better when other people take an interest. Kind regards, Deborah

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
It's lovely to have understanding friends that are prepared to put themselves out a little and spend somtime with someone they new in better days.

I am sure that Lionel will really have appreciated their visit.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionels 66th birthday

Yes it was that time again, another year on.

Went to care home with two friends. We all met on a holiday 12 years ago, and,once again they are so devoted to Lionel, and really care. Lots and lots of cards (Nothing from his daughter or son of course).

The morning went quite well, but Lionel is gradually becoming too rigid to saty in his chair too long.

Attachments

• lionel b'day 1.JPG
    lionel b'day 1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 585

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
The afternoon.

I had to request that Lionel was put on his bed after he had his lunch.

We could not make him comfortable. In the end he was lying across his bed.
He did rally a little, and tried to blow the candles out.
He was also in tears a lot of the time. (I have a feeling that he had a flash of rememberence, and therefore knew things were not good)

But he did have a sip of champagne and actually hugged me. It felt so good.

Attachments

• lionel b'day 2.JPG
    lionel b'day 2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 576

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie.

You don`t know which is better, to be unaware and so unaffected, or to be aware and affected.

I`m sorry Lionel shed a tear on his birthday, but at least it might have meant he knew it was a special day.

I`m glad you got a birthday hug. :)

The photos are lovely but sad.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie, thank you for the photos. Seeing you smiling out at me reminds me of out lovely evening in London.

I'm glad you managed to give Lionel a lovely birthday, I'm sure he appreciated it, despite the tear.

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thank you for understanding.

I just go to pieces when Lionel gets upset and cries. Otherwise when I am with him I try always to be cheerful and upbeat. Never easy I know, but we all seem to be in a simialr boat.

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Touching photos, Connie. Thanks for sharing them. So glad you had some pleasure and shared affection on Lionel's birthday.
Blue sea