Update on Lionel

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Hi Connie
You are doing an absolutely brilliant job in the way you are caring for Lionel. My heart goes out to you. I found adapting to a pattern of shorter but more frequent visits helpful as my dad progressed to this stage, but I can understand your wanting to be with Lionel as much as possible. Reading while you are with him, or listening to music, or doing a crossword or whatever, means he is still having the comfort of your presence, and you of his. Take care of yourself, as well as Lionel.
Blue sea

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Well today was a good day, in that Lionel was calm and comfortable.
Had the doors open in his room and the sunshine flooded in. (He does not want to be wheeled outside)

Thought I would show you what he sees when lying in his chair:

Attachments

• garden view 1.JPG
    garden view 1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 505

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
View to the right:

ps. thank you for all your recent support. It is appreciated.

Attachments

• garden view 2.JPG
    garden view 2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 508

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It all looks very pleasant Connie. Do you know why Lionel prefers to stay indoors? Is it too bright outside, or too warm?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That looks lovely, Connie. You've found such pleasant surroundings for Lionel. Hope you have many more good days.

Love,

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
What a tranquil view, Connie. It must be very calming and comforting for Lionel to see outside from the security of his room with his familiar possessions near him. I hope you have many more sunny, summery days to share some good moments like this.
Blue sea

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
When I went in to see Lionel this morning I was surprised to find him washed and dressed, but still in bed.

Unfortunately his hoist was not working, so there was no way of transferring him to his special chair.

Although his bed is adjustable he has no ability to control his body,and cannot sit up, so it is very difficult to feed him in bed.

Thank goodness they managed to get his hoist working just before lunch. I realise just how dependant he is on the wonderful care he does receive.

Attachments

• broken hoist.JPG
    broken hoist.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 451

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Dear Connie
it must have been upsetting for you to see Lionel so vulnerable
I'm so glad they managed to get the hoist working again.
Love Wendy xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I do so admire you for posting these updates on Lionel - it helps me to picture what you are handling emotionally.

Glad the hoist was working for lunch!

Very best wishes Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can only echo BeckyJan, Connie.

I have so much admiration for your posts. It must be a great comfort for you to see how well cared for Lionel is.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
connie said:
cris........that is a picture of the Duke of Wellington.:eek:

........and Connie's so much prettier!:)

(Lovely pic, Connie. Lionel looks so well cared for, no wonder you're pleased with the care home.)

Love,

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
I went to see Steve today and the hairdresser was in so he had a nice haircut and had allowed his favourite carer to shower him. He was very quiet and looked almost thoughtful.

Today there was a man in the home, just for the day (not sure why only for today) and he was charging about wanting to get out. We had to be very careful opening the doors as he was trying to get out. He did have the dreaded illness. He was 41 years old.

Sue

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Connie,

Lionel is in such a lovely place with such lovely views. He is clearly very well looked after. Interested to know about the picture of the Duke of Wellington, what is the background to that?

I am busy thinking of nice things I can put in my parents' rooms when I finally get them into the care home. Helps with the waiting.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel was always very interested in Napoleon, Wellington, Nelson etc.

He has a couple of commemorative Jugs about Nelson on his windowledge.
The Wellington picture is very old, quite rare. He has three lovely watercolours, all of boats that his friends have bought him for birthdays.

His large model of the Thames sailing barge is depicted in one of the watercolours, we used to watch the barge sail past the beach hut.

Lots of photographs around and an original caricacture of Lionel drawn by one of the artists from the Beano ( Lionel used to work in Fleet Street).

Have to keep the worktops fairly clear, as the girls need plenty of room to see to him, he ususally has two or three staff to handle him. (He is the most high maintenance resident in the home).

Attachments

• 2 lionel.bmp
    168 KB · Views: 551

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
what a great photograph, real show Lionel since of humour :)
never seen one drawn like that, before

thanks for sharing

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Eye opener today

When I arrived to see Lionel today one of the carers remarked how amenable he had been whan they were getting him ready for the day.

This was good news, and it was a special day at the home. They were having a barbeque for residents and visitors and raffles and things, to mark the home being opened for one year.

I hastened to his room, but alas he was not happy with me. No smile of welcome, no kiss upon request......nothing. Wrapped him up and pushed him into the garden, that was wrong. Took him into the lounge to buy raffle tickets, that was wrong. Thought that maybe it was all too much for him, so went back to his room.

No, he did not want a drink, shouted when I tried to adjust his position.
Two carers came into room.......all smiles, all sweetness and light.

Do hope this does not continue. I have arranged for some of his old school friends to visit early next week, and then more friends to visit with me next Sunday when it is his birthday. Everything planned for a mini celebration then.

I know he has another UTI, and is on antibiotics, but try as I might I cannot help feeling hurt.. I know sometimes he does not realise who I am, but today he definitely did not like what he saw. Ah well, another day tomorrow.