Update on Lionel

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel's bath

Went into the home early today to help carers give Lionel a bath.

This was planned like a military operation. He has to stay in his hammock type sling, so he had to be undressed on the bed, sling put under him. Hoisted naked to his chair, covered with blanket and wheeled down corridor into disabled bathroom.

Hoisted from chair and lowered, still in sling, into lovely warm bath. Then hoisted out, lowered onto chair, which had been covered in towels. Taken briskly back to bedroom. Bed had to be stripped down to his special mattress, he was then lowered onto the bed. Wet sling had to be removed from under him, and he was then rubbed dry.

Dressed, lying on the bed, then new sling rolled under him so as to be able to sit him in his chair. He is so stiff, and unable to help do any of this, but at least he stayed calmer than usual. I softly talked to him the whole time.

Needless to say, we were glad when it was all over. The two carers were wonderful, and Lionel really seemed to enjoy.

He slept until lunch, I fed him, and then he went back to sleep. He was still asleep when I left at 4.00pm. The girls have said that this can be done on a regular basis. Took about an hour all told.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Pleased tha Lionel enjoyed his bath, and pleased that you were able to feel good about the experience.
Love Helen

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Connie

Will reply to your pm when i get a chance too but can I say that your picture reminds me of Dave (who also lives at Dad's home).

When I first met Dave I used to delight in his obscenities (I know tho it would be hard for you to hear...just like hearing my Dad yell, used to upset me, just because it was so NOT Dad to do that) because it was nice to hear in such a depressingly quiet atmosphere...I always used to think if I were there I'd be yelling obscenities too...I liked Dave cos I thought 'he's a fighter that one'.

But back to Dave...Dave used to yell obscenities and didn't seem like he was able to do anything but this...Dave can't walk either.

But for some reason lately Dave doesn't yell obscenities anymore and a few times lately he has actually responded to me quite normally when I talked to him...which shocked the heck out me! So anyways I thought Id share Dave's story with you, because I personally think he's a great old (tho not really old enough to be like this) man...and because it is so obvious to me...that he's still there at least some of the time.

Probably didn't make sense what I was trying to get at...,but was attempting to make you feel a little better...its the thought that counts??

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie, what a complicated procedure.

But even though it took three of you, it is good you were a part of it, and good Lionel stayed calm and didn`t resist.

Take care

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Was the photo's taken on the same day as first photo of Lionel with your friend , his face does look fuller compared to 2nd photo ?

Or is it just the way the photo was taken on the same day ?

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Margarita, thnak you for asking.

The first photograph was taken exactly 4 weeks before the 2nd one.

I accept the weight loss.....all part and parcel of this desease. Maybe I should not post so many pics..........but I photograph Lionel every time I go in.

Just for my own memory..........

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Maybe I should not post so many pics

No don't do that ! please Its nice of you to share , hope its not upsetting that I commented on that , I still say its the way the photo been taken , his is a very handsome man (if you don't mind me saying so ) no wonder you fall for him , you can tell him that from me :)

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I will tell Lionel when I next go to see him. Bless you,
Thanks xx :)

the girls have said that this can be done on a regular basis.

are you still going in to help him bath ? as I am wondering that is why the girls ask . is it because he only bath when your around ?

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Connie. As you'll probably recall, my mum has been losing weight for around a year and a half but with a few plateaux and even a few slight weight gains.

There was a photo taken last year when my brother insisted on taking my mother around the grounds of one of her previous homes on the day that the home was hosting a sort of 'charity walk'. He insisted that she receive a medal at the end and then took her photo with her wearing it. The picture taken of her is really quite shocking, to my mind, because she looked so desperately frail and almost skeletal.
Now I am not saying she is bouncing with puppy fat these days; she weighs less than when that photo was taken, but somehow her face doesn't seem so gaunt and scary. Maybe the strong sunlight was unkind to her features. In fact her face can change in the space of a day or less, and on a day when she looks very frail, I will stay until I have seen her eat or drink and be comforted.

I find that my mum looks worse, to my mind, if I have been away for more than a day or two. I am horribly sceptical about the time taken to feed people with dementia and even found a carer last week attempting to feed my mother nice crisp chips totally oblivious to the fact that her dentures were not in her mouth. ( After a wild search the teeth were found wrapped up in a used napkin and thrown away in a bin in another room. If I had not noticed their absence, I am convinced they would have been disposed of with the waste from the home.)

Sorry, that was a diversion. All I really meant to say was that Lionel's face may regain some of its former appearance as he regains a little composure and comfort from your company. I washed my mother's hands in a bowl of water yesterday and sponged her face and she positively beamed at me and began to glow. Quite unexpected and such a simple thing.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel is quite unsettled at present : unsettled as in no two visits are alike.

His carers were concerned today, so the doctor was called. Everything checks out fine, heart, lungs, BP etc but the doctor is keeping a close watch. I think the TIA's are becoming more frequent. It is heartbreaking to see him like this.

Attachments

• 5-7-2007.JPG
    5-7-2007.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 541

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie

I'm so sorry to see Lionel so ill. He seems to have gone downhill so quickly, and it must be awful for you not knowing what to expect each time you visit.

I hope he will have picked up a little bit tomorrow. In the meantime, love and hugs. I think you deserve a G&T tonight!

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sylvia, even with padded cot bars he does occasionaly manage to fall out of bed.

This from a man who 'cannot move'. It happens if he gets agitated for any reason, then strength & partial mobility seem to increase.

Hazel, G & T sounds good to me.........cheers.

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hello Connie.

I have been keeping up to date with your 'update on Lionel' and felt the urge to reply to you.
Your love for Lionel is obvious and your heart must be breaking, I feel very sad for you, having to watch his slow decline.
Please take a little comfort in the knowledge, that TP members are thinking of you and Lionel.

God bless
Love Janetruth x

Tina

May 19, 2006
connie said:
Everything checks out fine, heart, lungs, BP etc but the doctor is keeping a close watch. I think the TIA's are becoming more frequent. It is heartbreaking to see him like this.

No words, Connie, just a hug. My heart goes out to you both.
Love, Tina

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Thinking of you both (& joining you in a well-earned large G&T!)

We have to take this dreadful illness one day at a time & I hope tomorrow will be a brighter day...

Gill x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
He is sleeping fine tonight, but had a bad patch again late afternoon.

Let's face it, "heart, lungs, BP fine"..............he will be with me a long time yet.
(God willing), would hate to see him suffer though.

Stable, calm and comfortable sounds good to me. Goodnight all, god bless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024