Update on Lionel

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie, I can`t wait to see the new chair. I hope it lives up to expectations.

With love

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
New chair arrived this morning. Very akward for the girls to manhandle Lionel into same, but he looks so much more comfortable. Very expensive, but will be worth every penny if it makes him settled. I shall be interested tomorrow when I visit as too how the carers have managed with it. Still, its on wheels, so I can take him into the gardens.

Attachments

• Lionel chair.JPG
    Lionel chair.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 886

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi connie

great news! The chair looks similar, though not the same, as Jans, which has proved such a boon.

After 3 years I paid for new covers for hers as the others became very worn. I negotiated with the manager of the home and they agreed to pay part of the cost of the chair originally, on the basis that they can keep it when Jan no longer needs it. Every bit helps...

I do hope Lionel's chair works for you both.

Tina

May 19, 2006
Connie,
Lionel looks really nice and comfy in his new chair! Great that it has wheels so you can wheel him about a bit as well.
Hugs,
Tina

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Connie, just that little tilt backmakes so much difference. I can`t see Lionel sliding down that chair. You must be pleased.

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
Connie

What an improvement on the earlier chair - I'm sure it will help his circulation to have his feet up, and reclining is more comfy for nodding off, which it looks like he does a lot of. Looks like a vinyl which is great for spills/accidents. How much do these things run, dare I ask?

Is that a sexy shot of you in a tank top, on the windowsill? Quite distracting...

Anne

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is that chair powered Connie? And he doesn't try to get out of it on his own? I had something similar for my mother, but it was pointless: she simply could not remember to either use the controls or ask someone to help her, with the result that she would attempt to get out on her own and you can imagine the consequences of that.

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
annesharlie said:
How much do these things run, dare I ask
I don't know if things have changed, or what the price would be for Lionel's chair, but Jan's was around £1,800. At the time I posted details at:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=239

jenniferpa said:
Is that chair powered Connie
it looks like some that are owned by other residents at Jan's home and, like hers, it is not powered.

The chair does have a pneumatic tilting mechanism so the staff can tilt it forward so it is easier to get the person out. There is a variety of covers - Jan's has an easily washable cover for the chair itself with an easy breathe/easy clean fabric for the places where her body touches. There is an extending leg section that tilts independently.

Jan has a waist strap on hers otherwise she might fall out.

since we bought one for Jan, many other residents have also had the same thing because it is so effective at a certain stage of the dementia.

The chair is not intended to be used by the person as a means of movement, so it is not a fancy wheelchair - it is a safe and manoeuvrable armchair.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks Bruce, Whilst Lionel's was not quite as much as Jan's chair, it is pretty much the same. It has not ticked quite all the boxes in his case, but is a big improvement on the standard chair in the home.

Anne: you are right, it is a picture of me. Lionels early comment was : I don't know who she is, but she looks O.K. to me. (I just love that guy)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Early days yet

I think the chair is helping. He has seemed more 'alert' these past three days.

Attachments

• Lionel & con.JPG
    Lionel & con.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 730

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
new chair

Connie so pleased you have the new chair. my husband was in a chair that he slipped down in all the time .

He ended up with a pressure sore and so he was bedridden until Pneumonia took him in April.

Lionel does look so much more comfortable now.

Love Cynron x x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
So sorry

Cynron, thanks for your words.

So sorry to read about your dear husband. I do hope that you are looking after yourself, in the same way as you looked after him.

Take care now, love n'hugs, Connie

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
I do read your postings Connie. I do not reply to many I know. I do not seem to be able to offer advice but my thoughts are there. Sorry.
cris
ps the chair looks like the Rolls Royce of chairs :D

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
'alert' these past three days
because of your tender loving care, what a lovely photo of you both , Now I know why you got the chair , easier to kiss hug him :D .

sending my love to you both xx

Last edited:

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
What a tender picture, I can sense your caring and love for each other. Also glorious view and lovely sunny day outside. You must so much feel your life is on hold, spending all the time you do with Lionel - you really are an angel. My father in law was in a similar situation for a couple of years, and I really found it quite depressing to be there - I don't look forward to these days in the future ( I'm 45, so feel v young to be hanging out with a husband in a care home ) Hopefully it's a long time away if at all. I'm just so busy and want to be doing things all the time and keeping active, I know it will be hard on me.