Update on Lionel

sunset

Aug 23, 2007
Connie how wonderful you look! How do you do it with all the stress in your life? You look radiant. what a wonderful gift for your husband to view on his birthday. Happy Birthday Lionel! Sunset

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Happy Birthday Lionel! I love the pictures connie, thanks for posting them here.

Connie, feel for you about the crying. Good moments but hard to deal with. When dad sheds a tear it rips me to pieces. Even tears of joy! Last time is when we managed to get mum to him and it was all emotional for all of us. He most definitely picked up on all the emotion and when we left he didn't say anything but just started crying - don't know if it was joy or sadness. Either way he has a seventh sense these days and a very sensitive side.

Still quite a learning process for me and dad is alway surprising me. Still trying to work out that occassional glint in his eye ;)

love
Craig

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Update on Connie

Tonight I have sat and cried, and realized that I am truly alone……..Why?
Today is the sixth anniversary of the terrible events of 9/11. I know where we were when we heard the news. Montipuliciano, Italy and for the next 24 hours we were glued to the TV screen. Lionel would hold my hand as I wept tears, yes, for the thousands killed, but also for the scene that is ever imprinted on my mind.
Lionel always tried to shield me from those images……..

As hundreds fled the twin towers, the column of Firefighter went in. Walking into the danger and inferno that was left. Why was I so upset? My late husband was a London firefighter for 30 years, and my eldest son is a serving fire officer today.
The fire fighters of this world are a family, just as we are here on TP. Every piece of footage I saw, every documentary concerning 9/11 my Lionel was there for me. His clean white handkerchief at the ready, even in the later years when his compassion towards me was waning.
So tonight, as I watch previously unshown footage of Ground Zero Underworld, I have sat and wept………………no hankie proffered……………no Lionel.
God how I miss him being by my side. Tomorrow I shall put my bright face on,smile when I see him
Incidently 3 days later I had the Italian police out looking for Lionel, as he had gone missing. This was six months before his diagnosis.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Connie, thought of your sadness tonight and wrote this for you....

Tears of sadness spilling down my face
Watching TV alone, desolate and bereft.
Feeling sorrow - too heavy to bear with grace
With just bittersweet memories all I have left

xxxTina

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie,

I too watched Ground Zero alone last night. Dhiren was with me in the house, but in a different room, in a different world.

When the news broke 6 years ago, we were watching the TUC Conference. We saw the disaster unfold before our eyes. We were too shocked to speak. And yes, we too, like millions of others, stayed glued to the TV all day. And we shared the horror.

But it`s personalized for you, with firefighters in the family, and I`m truly sorry you were so alone.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie, I know that like me you have already experienced the desperate loneliness of losing a loved and loving partner.

Like me, you rejoiced and praised God that you had found someone else to love and share with.

And now this! It's not bereavement. We can't say 'He's gone, and I have somehow to start to make a new life alone'.

They're not gone, and we would not wish them to be. But in the meantime we are in limbo. We do no longer have the companionship and loving that we delighted in after the years of loneliness. We have no-one to share the joys and sorrows. We have the huge responsibility of someone else's welfare, and no-one, not even family, can really share that, even if they want to.

It's a terrible loneliness, but a very different (and for me worse) kind of loneliness.

Bless you Connie, I feel for you so much.

Love,

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Connie, what a moving post. My heart goes out to you.
Love
Jackie
xxx
PS I think we will all remember where we were that day. We were cruising the caribbean and I'd just popped back to the cabin, for some strange reason I put the televison on. The first plane had just hit. I just sat there in shock, transfixed by the screen. I couldn't move to go and tell John, for what seemed like forever.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Connie,
Just a hug for you (HUG) because you need it.

Jackie,
Yes, 9/11 will be one of those days when we all remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard. I was at the office when soneone called in to say what happened. No television in the office so a colleague sat in her car, listening to the radio.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Changes.........

I posted on Lionels birthday how rigid he was becoming and how his chair did not seem to be working as well for him.

On my last two visits he has been curled up in the feotal position. Yes this man who was so rigid, now sits with his knees up tight to his chest.

He does not seem unduly unhappy, and responded to my voice.
The situation seems to change slightly with every visit.

Attachments

• lionl foetal.JPG
    lionl foetal.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 520

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Mum adopted the feotal position too - i think it brings to us all the comfort and safety of the womb - I am sure that Lionel finds comfort in it.
Love Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear Connie, It`s taking it`s toll , on both of you, I`m sure. I can`t say anything to help but must express my admiration for your fortitude.

Love xx

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
dear Connie.
I hope you don't mind but I cant help but compare todays picture with the one of Lional with his friend taken on 27th June . You would not think it was the same man.
I admire your courage and strength visiting Lional as you do. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
love Judith

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
belated happy birthday to Lionels from me :)

lots of positive energy hugs from those teddy hugs coming your way Connie from me also :)

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Connie,

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are such an inspiration. Lionel is such a lucky man to have you.....

Much love

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel today

Have had a really fraught couple of weeks, questioned my own commitment to Lionel.
Silly really, he is my world.

Visited today as usual. Really young girl was chatting away to him when I approached his room. One of the young laundry staff. When I later thanked her for taking time out to talk to Lionel she replied: "My mum (who is one of the caring staff) told me how lovely he really is, so I stop by and speak with him every day" How kind some people can be.

My man, how is he?: just recovering from yet another minor uti, and nasty 'pressure sore'.

Through the wonderful nutricious diet offered at the care home, coupled with first class care and Lionels increased appetite, latest pressure sore now completely cleared.

He just looks so well.
Thought I would share:

Attachments

• lionel.JPG
    lionel.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 451

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I think it is wonderful of you to share this lovely photo of Lionel. He does look well. It must be very reassuring to know he is amongst kind people - especially when we hear such harrowing stories.

Sorry you have had a difficult couple of weeks. Hope you have managed to come to terms with 'whatever'.

When I first joined TP you were having problems with Lionel at home - how time flies and how things change!! I know I have difficulties to come and could get quite 'panic stricken' if I dwelt on things too much.

Thanks for sharing Jan

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Connie

Lionel does look well: so much better than the last photo you posted. I'm glad to hear the pressure sore has cleared as well.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Gosh Connie, what a difference.

That gauntness has gone, that haggard face seems to have filled out.

What a lovely story also about the daughter of one of the staff. It only needs a small thing like that to give you a bit of a lift.

Love xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skituscany