Update on Lionel

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Connie,

Lionel does look well. he's obviously receiving wonderful care, and it's a great recommendation for the home that the laundry girl takes the trouble to call in for a chat. I hope I'm going to be as lucky.

I'm sorry you've had a bad couple of weeks. But I can't see how you can question your commitment. You have cared for him with total dedication, and still do. You're an example to us all.

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Back from holiday

Well I am back from my holiday in Egypt. Phoned the care home upon my return yesterday to be told that Lionel had suffered a mild heart attack.

Visited him today. He was good, all things considered, and the home had cared for him very well, just as if I had been there. They were at panic stations at one stage, so maybe it was just as well I was away.

One senior staff member said that she was urging Lionel to "hang on in there".
She said that she felt so bad that I was out of the country. The doctor is happy the way Lionel is progressing, although quietly concerned about the recent weight loss. He is eating well again, so must be taking some nutients from his food.

Todays picture.

Attachments

• red.JPG
    red.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 509

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Connie, welcome back!

I'm sorry Lionel had a heart attack while you were away, but it's good that they were able to get him through it. He does look a lot thinner, though.

How was Egypt?

Love,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Connie,

Good to have you back, I missed you. Hope you had a good time. Don't worry about coffee stains, you should see me when I eat ice cream.......

Sorry about Lionel's heart attack, if we'd know about it on TP we'd all have been telling him to "hang in there"...

Much love

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Visited today as usual. Managed to coincide with the chiropodist, so was able to assist her to do Lionel feet.

Not really assist, just try to keep him calm, and hold his legs still. What with the myoclonic jerks, and him being a big coward, it was all I could do to hold his legs still without hurting him. Still all done again now. I always try to tend his feet, but with him being diabetic, he does need regular specalist care.

We spent a nice quiet afternoon, him lying on his bed and me just holding his hand. He looks such a poorly man again, it is always so hard to leave him.

He had visitors from the day centre where he used to go, whilst I was away.
They were shocked at his appearence, but apparently had a nice time. (One of the staff informed me today)

Took todays picture to show Lionels friends - we are meeting up this weekend. He would have so loved to be with us.

Attachments

• 25-10-07.JPG
    25-10-07.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 519

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie,

I think Lionel`s friends might be shocked too. A couple of photos ago, he looked as if he had filled out a bit. Now he looks as if he`s lost more weight. It must be so distressing for you.

Take care

Love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
It is so brave of you to share your photos of Lionel - it is so very sad to see his deterioration.

It is good you have had a pleasant holiday and maybe stronger now to deal with the everyday problems.

The photos you take of Lionel are just very special. I feel envious because I cannot at present take photos of my lovely husband.

Don't know what else to say (hundreds of thoughts in my head!!!!:confused: )
thinking about you and hope that Lionel gets stronger each day (? is that poss.:.

Best wishes Jan

springtime

Apr 25, 2007
Milton Keynes
Dear Connie,

So very sorry to hear about changes in your husband in the last couple of months. I know you have probably heard this before, but I thought I must mention it, has your husband been checked for a water infection as this can make a person with AD very angry, act out of character which I have seen many times from working in a care home. Sometimes you have to insist on urine test and then check later to see that is has cleared once the anitbiotics have finished. Some people stay on an antibiotice constantly.
From 16 years experience of working in a care home, I have noted that the person suffering with memory problems has always recognised their loved one. Many sufferers cannot express their joy through words when seeing the face that they love, but they will show it in other ways. Some people will become more content and go to sleep or they may become cross if the person visiting them decides to speak to others! This is their way of communicating that they know you are there and they love you too.

Best wishes,
Springtime.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thank you 'springtime' for flagging up water infections. You are so right to mention same, as this certainly can cause great deteriation.

We have been there, but this time deteriation is just part and parcel of his condition. He seems frailer since his very mild heart attack whilst I was away.

I do hope I don't upset anyone with my pics. of Lionel. Just my way of charting his progress here on TP.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You certainly don`t upset me Connie, but I do get upset for you and Lionel. It is so sad to see such a decline.
Love xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Connie,
Unfortunately, it is fact of the illness and no matter how hard we try to be brave, we hurt inside. I am glad that his friends decided to visit. I do Peter's feet but he is so tigglish. I personally do not think that posting photos of Lionel is upsetting in as much Lionel is the love of your life and you are just showing your love for him. So many people turn their backs. Do try and have a good week-end. God Bless Christine

Jilly88

Aug 11, 2006
Margate, Kent.
Dear Connie.
I'm so glad that you're posting pictures of Lionel. I'm sure that he knows you love him so much. With each picture, I hope to see a miraculous recovery of sorts ... that he'll be sitting up with a smile on his face. We are all praying for you both I'm sure.
With much love,
Jilly

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Connie,

I'm so sorry about Lionel's decline.

I think it's wonderful that you post pictures of your dear Lionel. I've always been very grateful that you're brave enough to do so because to some extent is prepares me for what will eventually come with mum.

It also helps to have a visual when I pray for you both.

Hope you had a fab holiday.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Connie

- you certainly do not upset me with your photos and posts - I just wish I felt able to do so myself (maybe one day).

It is upsetting to see the decline in Lionel but that is part of our lives and it is good to share everything - good or bad.

Let us know soon how things are. Best wishes Jan

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Connie
You don't upset me either.

I just wish I'd had the courage to take photos of mum as she declined......it's a pitiful sight to witness.

i wish you courage and strength

Love xx

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Connie.
The same curling up, boney knees and far away eyes - some of us have seen it.
Take care of yourself. Thinking of you both.

Love Helen

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
Hi Connie
For those of us that have followed dear Lional`s story from the start,and have come to care about him,the pics just bring him closer ,of course it is upsetting to see the decline.i just want to give him a big hug,and an even bigger one for you .keep posting them connie,
take care.
Angela.xxxx