Update on how mum has settled into NH

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Everyone,

Today was day 13 since mum moving into the NH. After the bad start ('I'm not staying here with all these old people' etc. etc.,) it's been a tat fraught. On the advice of the NH staff I have stayed away until today.

However, I telephoned the NH several times a day (for a while there I turned into my mother with all the calls I made), and each time, apart from wanting to use the phone, which they leg glanced, she was fine, eating and sleeping well, and getting on with staff and other residents. Even went to the hairdresser, unheard of before.

Huge problems yesturday, my brother went to visit, and it was awful, she hated it, wanted to go home, all our worst nightmares had come home to roost. We basically had dumped her and bags on the pavement and driven off!!

So with a very heavy heart I set off for my first visit, having not slept a wink all night. Heart pounding in I went. Well, she was perfectly fine. I managed to borrow a wheelchair so we went out for a few hours. Visited a park she used to enjoy when we were children. Until her legs got tired she pushed the chair and enjoyed the walk, sun shining, it was great. She was quite happy to go back to the NH, I made us tea in the visitors lounge. Went back to her room, sorted out some clothes, then she told me to go as it was dinner time!!! Massive sighs of relief all round.

Now I'm not daft enough to think that's it, we've cracked it, next time it may be not so good, however, what a great start. So off to bed soon for a goods nights sleep.

Just wanted to share with you all my good news, lets hope it continues.
Cate

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Thanks for sharing some good news Cate! ........ long may it continue. Like you say, maybe it won't continue, and there's likely to be ups and downs ......... but at least this shows that it's possible for her to be happy there, even if only for a while :)

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Leg Glanced?

Cate said:
Hi Everyone,

However, I telephoned the NH several times a day (for a while there I turned into my mother with all the calls I made), and each time, apart from wanting to use the phone, which they leg glanced, she was fine, eating and sleeping well, and getting on with staff and other residents. Even went to the hairdresser, unheard of before.

Just wanted to share with you all my good news, lets hope it continues.
Cate

Hi Cate

It's great to hear that you had a good visit and I hope you get many more. It's good that you recognise that it might not always be that way but let's hope that you get more good than not so good ones.

I have to ask what you mean when you say 'which they leg glanced'. I can't work it out at all and it sounds like a Margeritism! (sorry Margerite, I love your sayings and my Spanish is appalling!)

I'm just wondering if it was a typo or is it some new practice in residential homes that I have never heard of and my mum is missing out on :confused: :)

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Cate

What a relief the visit went so well. I am sorry your brother had a hard time, at least he can gain some comfort in the knowledge that Mum had forgotten all about being "dumped" by the time you visited.

You are wise not to assume every one will be good, lets hope the bad ones are very few and far between.

Now you can try to relax and get some sleep, you need to look after yoursef too.

Take care

Kathleen

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I hadn't heard that expression either, but I know the feeling, when phoning a respite home or hospital, and nurses make it very clear that they have 100 things to do more important than answering relatives' questions.

Lila

Cate said:
Hiya

Sorry if you hadn't heard that expression before, leg glanced = fobbed off!!

Best wishes
Cate

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Cate said:
Hiya

Sorry if you hadn't heard that expression before, leg glanced = fobbed off!!

Best wishes
Cate

No, I definitely hadn't heard it before! I just did a google on it and it appears to be a cricketing term, which my son confirms. He hadn't heard it used other than in a cricketing context though. Maybe it's a regional thing?:confused: