Update on George

Margaret938

I haven't been posting for a long time, but thought I could get some advice from you. George has been really fine, since I last posted and we had a wonderful summer, outside every opportunity, I wheeled him all over the place and enjoyed the sunshine with him. He had a really good tan and the fresh air did him the world of good. He developed a rash on Tuesday and when the GP came she said he had shingles. He has a really bad rash on his tummy and he is just not well at all. I am, of course, very worried, I hate to se him so under the weather when he is usually bright as a button and keeps in very good health. Just wondering if anyone on TP has any advice, I am wondering how long the flu like symptoms last.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Margaret, my Mum had shingles years ago, l think the Dr can give you something to ease the pain now, my Mum suffered for many months. Ask your Dr if he can help.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry to hear George has shingles. Sorry I have no experience of it though.

Nice to see you here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve no experience personally Margaret but my mother had shingles with dementia.

One thing I do remember is how her face registered pain. After seeing her looking so troubled and frightened in hospital, I only realised it when she was back in the care home and they gave her paracetamol and the difference was unbelievable.

I think, because shingles is caused by a virus it can last a while but the symptoms can be controlled.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William got shingles, on his face. Luckily, I realised almost immediately what it could be, as he just kept saying "hurt" and putting his hand to his temple. There was hardly any rash. The doctor gave him anti viral tablets for shingles, and thankfully it was in time and he didn't get any worse.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear Margaret,

How wonderful to hear from you again.:) It lightened my heart to read that you and George had such a good Summer-not so about the shingles. I've never had shingles but a friend of mine did. The GP did give her something but I'm not sure what. Did George's GP advise a course of treatment? If he is in pain ask the GP if paracetamol will help.

Now the darker nights are here I hope that you are careful walking along that road when you leave the CH. I remember years ago you posting that there was a dark stretch of road:eek:

Try not to worry too much about George but if you are at all overly worried speak to the GP. Please keep us updated if you can-we miss you.

Love,

Lyn T XX

Emomam

Nov 13, 2014
Yorkshire
I had shingles and it can be pretty painful. I had lots of pain relief but the one thing that eased the rash was calomine lotion which I put on cotton wool and dabbed on. Very soothing. I didn't have flu like syptoms but I did have a very bad headache for weeks. Cold face cloth helped there. Hope that's helped a bit.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I had shingles and it can be pretty painful. I had lots of pain relief but the one thing that eased the rash was calomine lotion which I put on cotton wool and dabbed on. Very soothing. I didn't have flu like syptoms but I did have a very bad headache for weeks. Cold face cloth helped there. Hope that's helped a bit.

I had shingles too and it can be really painful. The GP gave me some viral medication can't remember the name but they were blue and huge. Also felt in general not too well. Paracetamol helped with temperature and calomine lotion with the rash . Hope he feel better real soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Margaret. How lovely to hear from you but I'm really sorry for the reason.
I think Shingles can be mild or severe as I have know people with both and those in between. I know that the neurological pain can continue long after the rash has disappeared so be prepared for that. I do hope George recovers quite quickly.
I hope you are keeping well yourself. x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Margaret, lovely to hear from you but sorry that George has shingles. I can’t add anything to what others have said, no personal experience, but those I know who have had shingles vary in the severity and how long the after effects.

I do hope George will soon recover and be his usual self. Upsetting for you to see him not well and of course worrying about him.

It is wonderful to read what a good summer you had, I often think about you both and wonder how you are. Don’t be a stranger, we think of you. Let us know how George goes with the shingles, hopefully he will soon improve. I hope you are fine yourself, and be careful walking in frosty weather.

Thoughts and love
Loo xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR