Update on George

Margaret938

Just a wee update since it is so long since I have sent a post. George as you can see is doing OK. He continues to be happy in his surroundings and very contented. It will be 3 years next week since he went into the CH. We have had our ups and downs but at the moment, everything is as well as can be expected, when we are faced with this dreadful disease. I still enjoy his company every afternoon for 3 hurs, longer on a Sunday because we have our tea together in his room. It has been a long hard struggle, and although I make the most of everyday I have with him, I cannot deny that I have not and will not ever come to terms with the loss we have both suffered from this desease.
Apologies to all my TP friends for staying away so long, but I will try to keep in the loop more frequently in future. Love Margaret x

Attachments

• IMG_0391 - Version 3.jpg
    IMG_0391 - Version 3.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 597

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Margaret, what wonderful photos of George-he still has light in his eyes and looks very contented. You are doing such a good job of caring for him. Three years! It hardly seems possible but of course it must be because Pete would have been three years in a CH this coming June. I'm so glad that you are happy with the care George receives- I was the same with Pete; we make friends with the Carers and even forge a sort of new life for ourselves which, in the circumstances, is the best that we can do.

My friend, others may say that we should accept the loss that Dementia brings but, like you, I always found it difficult. I remember the struggles and doubts that we both had when George and Pete had to go into care; what sad times we faced. To me that time seems so unreal but at the same time so cruel. It was difficult to face up to not being able to have our Husband's at home. Such sadness.

I hope that you are taking care of yourself; eating well and getting enough rest. You matter too you know:) Do you still walk to the CH to visit George? If so, I expect that you will be looking forward to the better weather and longer days.

Thanks for the update Margaret. I think of you and George often and it's good to hear that things are on an even keel for you both.

Much love

Lyn T XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's so good to hear from you again Margaret. Such lovely photos!

George does indeed look well and contented. Although I understand you would not have wanted things to turn out as they have, you must be so pleased that George is happy and contented. I have thought of you both and wondered how you're doing. I'm glad now to hear your update.

I hope we see you around again. Happy Easter! x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Lovely to hear from you Margaret and wonderful to see George looking so well.

We miss your posts and look forward to you keeping in touch as and when you can.

Xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It's good to hear from you Margaret and especially to see how well George is looking.
Those three years have passed so quickly.
I know things are not how you would have wanted them to be but you are indeed fortunate that he is so happy and contended in his home and that shows in the photos too.
No, it's not the same as having him at home I know, far from it, but it is lovely that you are able to spend precious hours with him daily and that you can share a special teatime with him on a Sunday.
I hope that it is an extra-special one today.
I hope your life in general is as well as it can be too.
Love xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello margaret, lovely to see your hubby looking so good, l visit the same hours as you, and lunch on a Sunday, people ask me do you miss him, what a question! Of course we do for the life we had, l do look forward to my daily visits, nice to hear from you Margaret.☺

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Its good to hear from you Margaret and to see George looking so well.

However much you cannot come to terms with the loss caused by this illness, you are making the most of what you have and your time together.

Margaret938

I feel very fortunate that I can still enjoy my afternoons with George in the Care Home, something I never thought I would ever hear myself say. But I look forward so much to seeing him every day, I feel like I am going on a date ! My days are very much planned out, now that the weather is better, I spend the mornings in the garden and the afternoon is "Our Time" and it is surprising just how much pleasure I can get from the three hours we spend together. Of course it will never replace the time we used to spend together or the time I wish we still had to spend together, but just now it is more than I can hope for given the illness he has. I remember how much you all helped me on TP when I thought my life was all but over without George at home, you helped to keep me sane during the really bad days.......Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart. Margaret xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Margaret, you have done so well in finding a 'new normal'. I hope you continue to enjoy your times with George-as I'm sure he does with you. You have made the very best of a difficult time in your life.

Much love

Lyn T XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We share similar experiences of an improvement in our relationships once the care home comes into effect Margaret.

It`s a bonus for which I`ll always be grateful. Totally unexpected, too.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Margaret, another uplifting post from you. I actually sent an earlier one when you first posted again (lovely to hear from you) but don't see it here now so I don't know where it went... :confused: As I said then, lovely photo of George, he looks so good and content.

Very happy for you that all is going well, more than you thought was possible. I know what you mean as once Henry eventually settled we had some very precious times together when I visited. I cherish them.

How is your garden coming on? It looked lovely last year.

Keep in touch...

Love
Loo xxx