Update on David

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jan that sounds almost too much to bear. He's been checked for an infection I assume?

I do think holding hands and telling the person that you love them is a gift to both of you, even if you suspect he may not understand entirely.

Love to you both.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you all - I truly appreciate all your responses and support.

I don't think this is to do with infection although there is always a possibilty of lung aspiration and UTI. The staff at the NH are extremely good at checking this stuff and they know I am vigilant too. Sadly I believe it is the final (not end) stage and it becomes unbearable thinking how long this could last.

Thanks again to all of you. (Isn't TP a special place?).

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
Jan, I'm so sorry to hear about this visit. It must be heartbreaking.
I am sure David could feel your love for him even if he was unable to show it. The touching and stroking and 'I love yous' will have comforted him I'm sure.
Thinking of you and sending love

Karen x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Jan, I am so sorry to read of your dear David's downturn. It is just possible that he was trying to say your name when he said Jennifer - I say this because I can remember Brian on several occasions trying to find and to say some particular word and then it coming out with too many syllables.

Just your presence and your expressions of love are bound to be comforting him - just as it comforts you to give them. You will be talking to him in your own particular way and he will know that no-one else does that, or has your choice of words and little gestures.

Thinking of you both and sending love,
Nan XXX

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Update

The past few weeks have been strange. Most days David sleeps or mutters unintelligible words. There have been two or three days of brightness, clear eyes and some effort at conversation. One special was one day when he clearly said ‘J I do love you so very very much’ gripping my hand firmly as he said it.

Two days ago he was agitated and coughed a lot. He said a sentence which I only half heard, when I said what did you say – he replied ‘I want to die’, very clearly. Later he coughed up some white frothy fluid which the nurse felt was from his lungs. The same happened today and a Doctor was called. She heard rattles in his right lung and has prescribed antibiotics.

He continues to eat well although fed with pureed food and thickened drinks.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Jan, I'm sorry to read how bad things are getting. It must be a great strain for you to see David so poorly. I'm very glad though, that he was able to tell you so clearly that he loved you. That must have been a very precious moment. Sending you hugs, Deborah x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jan, this is such a hard time for you. I can't say anything to help, except to pass on what Connie would say to you.

"Stay strong!"

‘J I do love you so very very much’ gripping my hand firmly as he said it.

And hang on to that memory, it will get you through.

Love,

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Jan

I read your thread, feel deeply for you and David. Precious that David could tell you he loves you very very much.

Loo xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jan

You have not known what to expect from David for a long time, only now he is deeper into his dementia and I`m sure the demands on your emotions increase daily.
And you still make sure he is visited every day. :)
Love xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Jan, I am so sorry to hear about David's cough and need for further antibiotics. But how beautiful that he was able to tell you so clearly how much he loved you. You will hold onto that forever.

Thinking of you both and sending love,
Nan XXX

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Jan,

I was so sad to read that David has a cough, and I do hope the antibiotics work quickly and effectively. It would be wonderful to hear those words spoken again.

I am abroad until Aug 22nd, but will be thinking of you both. It will be hard to be away from TP for 2 weeks, and although the break will do me good, I feel there are people I would like to be here for. To support, and to listen to. I will keep you close in my thoughts.

Please take care, keep as strong as you can, and take each day at a time.

Sending love,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar