Update on David

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Since the last UTI at beginning of this month, David has been reasonably ok. Some days content, others grumpy, nearly always tired and mostly confused and disorientated.

Aricept was reduced from 10 mg to 5 mg with all of us looking for possible signs of deterioration - the Consultant would have upped the dose again if necessary. Generally I think he has been slightly more alert.

Now he has another UTI, not over confused, but definitely in pain when passing water. He has had periods of being extremely hot but no evidence of raised temperature.

As always when these infections occur, I feel concerned and anxious.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hope you're ok, Jan,

Another UTI sounds a bit daunting. Could it be that David isn't taking enough fluids?

It's so difficult to know exactly what's happening, that's half the problem.

Assuming David had antibiotics and they will kick in soon, hopefully.

Please take care of yourself.

Love xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm sorry to hear David has another UTI Jan.

Aricept was reduced from 10 mg to 5 mg with all of us looking for possible signs of deterioration - the Consultant would have upped the dose again if necessary. Generally I think he has been slightly more alert.

I think it was a brave step to reduce the medication, but clearly you trust the consultant, and it has proved to be the right action.

I think there can come a point when the medication is counter-productive. When my dad was in hospital and was no longer able to take his medication he too became slightly more alert - he said both mine and my sister's names for the first time in years.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Jan,
I am so sorry to see that David now has a UTI.
I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and that the pain subsides.
Thinking of you and sending love,
Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry to hear David has a UTI, Jan.

These infections seem to follow in quick succession in the later stages. It's such a stressful time.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jan

I don`t want to add to your worries but are they sure David has a UTI? All posts on TP indicate the first sign of a UTI is increased confusion. And yet you feel since stopping Aricept, David seems more alert.
I know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, etc. etc. but I wouldn`t want something to be missed.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Jan hope David is settled today, these infection play merry hell with our loved ones dont they. Trev looked on his last legs this weekend and now looks so much better hope it is the same with David. I know for sure the effect it has on myself so I understand how you must be feeling, wish I could nip in to see you and have a good chat, cannot wait for the spring when we should all have a sunnier outlook. this winter really seems to have taken its toll on many on TP. love to you both pam and Trev

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I have thought that myself, Sylvia. But checks show an infection but what and why is not clear yet. Still waiting test results but the nurses are expecting UTI.

He does seem very poorly, not himself, and whilst he is confused no more or less than before. The GP will probably see him before I go in tomorrow.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Jan,
I hope there is an improvement in David and that he settles again. We cannot ask for a real improvement but we can hope for our loved ones to be more or less contented and feeling secure.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Jan,

As David has had several lots of AB's, might the indications point to thrush?

I can imagine how you are feeling.

Lots of love x

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
hope david is soon on the mend Jan it seems that everyone is getting lots of infections on tp wishing him well love larivy

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
The last time I posted here David had a UTI. That all cleared without problems but now he has a slight chest infection.

Thankfully antibiotics have been given early and it seems to be in hand. Yesterday he looked poorly and was very sleepy. He did try conversation:
Where is Becky? - our lab. dog who died 5 year ago!
Who is looking after the children?
Reply: They are grown up now and looking after themselves!
He looked puzzled at this.
Then - 'the cats are dancing around there :rolleyes:'

This made me snigger as I remembered Milly in London telling us how to make a cat dance :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
At least you got a laugh out of a sad situation Jan. :)

I hope the ABs work and David`s chest soon clears. xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
You've made me laugh too Jan:D:D

It's good to hear that David has been placed on the antibiotics quickly and let's hope that it does the trick. Talk about up and down:rolleyes:

Love x

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
hi jan just found your post i must have been tippsy when i told you about the cat hope you are feeling ok today and hope david is better t millyhinking of you both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet