Update on Alan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Alan is not too good at the moment. He seems to be increasingly paranoid. It is becoming more and more difficult to understand what he is saying. This morning he woke up and when he came down for breakfast he was very cold. This has never happened before. I warmed up a beanie in the microwave and sat him with that and it offered instant warmth.

This decline could be for any number of reasons.

1) because it is going to happen because he has a dementia.

2) he was very tired after the hospital visit on Tuesday and I
remember saying that I suspected there might be repercussions.

3) he has had a cold but quite mildly compared to everyone else
and it cleared up quickly.

I just wanted to tell people who care.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Helen:

Yes I care! It is hard to know whether a bad phase is deterioration or something else :confused: It makes the job of caring doubly hard.

Its probably a combination of everything, plus some grim weather preventing us from getting outside easily.

Chin up Love Jan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Jan

Its probably a combination of everything, plus some grim weather preventing us from getting outside easily.

I think this is an important point because Alan hasn't been able to go out anywhere near as much as he would normally for one reason or another. He is very mobile and can outwalk most people and as well as myself, the sitters often go for a walk with Alan and they come back and say they have covered miles! The exercise is good for Alan and he enjoys it but he has not been for a walk for quite some time. We have just had an invitation tomorrow to walk with Alan's daughter and a family dog and I may now consider it depending on whether Alan is generally better ie warm enough in himself.

Love and thanks Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

I care too.

Am I right, Alan doesn`t see a consultant? If so, who would give him a check up and advise you whether Alan has an infection, or his symptoms are a sign of deterioration?

I know with Dhiren his temperature doesn`t seem to regulate itself as efficiently as it did. He feels the cold much more than he used to. On the other hand he gets very hot, especially after food.

I would have expected Alzn to have recovered from Tuesday`d events by now, but then again, I don`t know Alan, I only know of him.

I suppose all you can do is monitor him. I have to say after only one day on Amisulpride, Dhiren is much calmer. I will go into this in more detail on Life in the day......

If Alan`s paranoia persists or increases Helen, I`d ask for help.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I care too...

Thanks for the update, Helen.

It's been so cold that even Eric at times has complained of feeling cold..very unlike him...

And if Alan is used to walking then could he be a bit "sluggish" due to lack of exercise.

. He seems to be increasingly paranoid.
That's interesting.....Is it possible to say in what way?

Love gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for the update Helen.

It could weel be that Alan is missing his regular exercise, John used to walk a lot too, and he got very grumpy is he couldn't get out. It might also be affecting the paranoia too, if he feels he is neing prevented (by the weather) from doing what he wants to do.

Or it could be a decline!

If he's no better by Monday, I'd be inclined to talk to the GP.

I hope you manage your walk tomorrow, and enjoy the exercise.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sylvia and Gigi

The question you have raised about whether Alan sees a consultant is interesting because the lady from the AZ Society has asked me whether I would be willing to talk at a meeting next week about my experiences with the health professionals.

In a nutshell to your question Sylvia, no he doesn't have a consultant because he was discharged from his books even though I told him that the Psychogeriatrician had promised that someone from her team would keep in contact with Alan and that we have never heard a thing from them. Alan does not exist again!!!!
The consultant promised me that he would contact the Psychogeriatrician and sort out this appalling situation - but guess, that was back in September I think and we still haven't heard a thing from anyone.

If I thought any of them would be of the slightest use I would take control of the situation myself and force them to acknowledge Alan but my experiences so far have been such that they are of no use to us. Unlike your experience, the Psychogeriatrician showed no sign of really listening or taking a real interest in Alan. When I asked her questions she could not even attempt to answer them and stood just looking dumbfounded. If it weren't for the woman from the AZ Society I would have believed that the problem was me.

I am left with this statement resounding in my being "There is nothing that can be done" and that is exactly our experience, they do nothing - he doesn't exist!!! Every department of the hospital that Alan has had to use that is not dementia related have been marvellous in their service and in their dealings with Alan and myself. Those you expect to be professional in their field of dementia have been dreadful and with far less insight than anywhere else.

Dear Gigi,

I think we are both sluggish but Alan is more than sluggish I think. The paranoia started again on Thursday. He was with the sitter and I was working. Everything was fine until about half an hour before the sitter had to go and I went into them and Alan had a very grumpy and angry face and I asked the sitter whether anything had happened (they'd been out in the car for a drive earlier). The sitter said nothing had happened but that he felt it was because Alan could hear my client's voice. It is not possible to understand what Alan is saying but from the gist of it, it seems like he feels he needs to protect me from people. This then carried on but not about clients, about anyone - whether voices on the radio, tv or people passing in the street.

I can cope with the paranoia most of the time (although I really don't like it) but I cannot cope when I have to work because I become anxious (a bit like Sylvia was describing about how she was feeling).

Alan has just asked if he can go in the bath which is very unusual:confused:

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Hazel

I've just seen my long post and am a bit embarrassed that I could go on so long:eek: Your post must have come through whilst I was typing.

I am sure Alan doesn't feel he's being prevented from going out walking because he's not particularly wanted to go - but then being sluggish - one doesn't want to go.

You are right though about seeing the GP. If he is no better I will ask them to test for a UTI. This is a completely new route for us.

Love

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Helen sorry to hear that Alan is not to good at the moment, it is such a worry when you know something is not just right but they are not able to tell what is disturbing them. , Trev also appears to be ill to me not AD related booked for him to see gp just feel something not right, Is Alan able to let you know if he is in any pain or is it guess work. hope you have a good walk tomorrowm fresh air may just lift his spirits, lovePam

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Pam

Alan would be able to tell me he had pain one way or another but he doesn't seem to feel pain very much anyway which might be something to do with fronto temperal dementia.

Oddly enough, he is now in fine spirits - better than he has been since middle of the week. He is watching James Bond and really enjoying it:confused: I am ready for bed but I'm staying up for him because he doesn't usually enjoy t.v. and it's nice to see him smiling. I am now wondering whether he feels better because I am with him more with it being a Saturday?

What is it about Trev that is making you feel he's not right at the moment?

Love

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
You must be talking about us

I think this is an important point because Alan hasn't been able to go out anywhere near as much as he would normally for one reason or another.

I hate this weather.
Lots of love BarbX & RonZZ

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Helen,

I wonder (from my own experiences) if Alan feels safe when you are with him and feels threatened if you are working or concentrating on someone else? On hearing voices he knows that you are busy with someone else.

As has been said, this weather doesn't help. Ken is like a caged lion at the moment. The only place I can think of taking him is to Sainsbury's where we wander round the isles and then have a coffee in the (not very clean) cafe.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

Something in Tina`s post struck me.

On hearing voices he knows that you are busy with someone else.

Are you sure Alan recognizes those voices as you and your clients. Perhaps they cause him concern.

Just a thought.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Are you sure Alan recognizes those voices as you and your clients. Perhaps they cause him concern.

That is a very good point.
Ron will hear me on the phone in our lounge, (he is in bed).
He thinks it is his Mum or Dad.

Barb X

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Helen glad Alans enjoying 007, I work from home also and Trev just walks away because he has not got my full attention rather like a child would. Trev was sent home from day centre having very loose bowel movments yesterday still continuing today, just been very sick I have corn on the cob in my hair must get a shower,as if he did not have enough to contend with, but he cannot tell me how he is feeling he just looks so sad and lost i wish i could make him smile, my singing does not even do that any longer and it is really awfull goodnight all Pam.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barb, Tina, Sylvia and Pam

Dear Barb, I don't mind the cold, it's the damp cold that I really don't like.

Dear Tina, I can't take Alan to the shops anymore because he can't stand the people. The last time I took him was just after Christmas, I think, and he was really frightened - he even said he was frightened:eek: I've tried taking him to garden centres, a tiny local museum, a small farm with exotic animals - he doesn't like being in these places any more. Oddly enough he was ok at the cinema when we went to see Mamma Mia:confused:

Dear Sylvia, That is a good point that I'd not even thought of.

Dear Pam, Oh dear it sounds like your poor Trev has a S/D bug and I hope that it clears soon. I have been dreading Alan coming down with this and had a scare myself this week when I woke up feeling very nauseous - but it was just an off day. It's nice that your singing would have made Trev smile at one time - mine would have folk cringing at any time:D Are there any things that Trev enjoys nowadays? Alan has just discovered that he likes painting - I never thought he would but he really likes it and sits and does it with the sitters.

Thank you all for your support.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
(Excuse me butting in, Helen.:))

Pam, I'm sorry Trev is poorly. As you say, they have enough to contend with without this. I hope he's a bit better today.

Helen, I think it's a good point, that Alan may resent your clients. John always hated it when my attention wasn't on him.

And I hate the cold damp too. I've felt so much better in the icy, crisp days we've been having. Today it's wet, dark and windy and I can't be bothered to do anything.

Hope everyone has a good day today.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Hazel

Today it's wet, dark and windy and I can't be bothered to do anything.

It's similar here Hazel but Alan seems perkier this morning:confused: and really does want to go to his daughter for that walk. I really don't want to but I will make the effort for his sake. I feel all snug at home with Alan happier, a leg of lamb ready for the oven, TP, warmth and no outside pressure:)

I hope you have a restful day Hazel. We will all be geared up to sending out all our most positive vibes and love for you next week:)

Love and best wishes

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
a leg of lamb ready for the oven

What time's dinner Helen?...:D

Seriously..it's so windy here it woke me in the night..hope you both enjoy your walk...but don't get blown away....:eek:

Love gigi xx