Update on Alan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I took Alan to hospital to see the Consultant Neurologist. It was worth the visit because he sat and explained the results of all the tests which show fairly conclusively that Alan has FTD and not Alzheimers. There is no treatment for FTD and if given Alzheimers Medication it could be damaging.

He said that the speech part of Alan's brain wasn't receiving much oxygen and that's why he's losing his ability to understand words and language. He said it was important that Alan was kept stimulated by being encouraged to talk and do things. Also that pictures would be better than words.

I told him that I now have pictures of everyone and I show them to Alan rather than relying on him to understand the name and that Alan responds very well to the pictures. I also told him that I believed that stimulation was important and that this has now been arranged and Alan is responding to that very well also.

He said he was discharging Alan into the hands of the Psychiatrist and that he wouldn't need to see Alan again. I told him that the Psychiatrist had also discharged Alan and this had been our initial problem that Alan seemed to fall through the system somehow and that it was as if he didn't exist. The consultant said he would write to the Psychiatrist and get it all organised because Alan was entitled to all the services that they had to offer. I said that they told me there were no services that they could offer Alan and that they withdrew the OT after 6 sessions even though it was really benefitting Alan. He said he would sort it.

That was it really and it just confirmed to me that I was doing the right thing with Alan and thank goodness for all the information and support from the Alzheimers Soc. and Talking Point because without it Alan's life would not be anywhere near so good as it is now.

Alan now has a male sitter for 3 of the sits and Alan has been doing some painting which is marvellous to witness. Alan is so proud of his achievement of painting an elephant picture and he is so precise in his brush strokes so that he doesn't go over the lines. I am really happy for him.

Love to you all

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Good to see this post Helen. It is amazing how we carers are affected by the care that others give to our partners. So pleased you are feeling happy for Alan.
Best wishes Jan

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Helen,

Thank you for posting about Alan. Long may he continue to enjoy his painting.

You deserve a big hug for what you have achieved.

Love to you both
Christine

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

What a positive post.
It`s so good you know how to ask for the right medical care for Alan and especially good to hear the practices you have already put into place are the ones the consultant recommended.
Is the painting a new pastime Helen, or was Alan interested in art work pre dementia?
It`s so good to read such a positive post.
Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Syvia

The things Alan is doing now he never showed any interest in before. He has never painted anything - not because he couldn't but because he wouldn't want to. He has enjoyed playing draughts with the lady carer but he wouldn't have liked that before.

I realise the old rules have gone and all I can do is offer Alan the opportunity of an experience (ie painting, meccano, modelling clay etc) and let him discover whether he wants to do it and whether he likes it or not. He is well able to let us know if he doesn't want or doesn't like something. He didn't like the jigsaw I bought him (500 pieces:eek::confused:). I will, however, buy a 25 piece jigsaw with bigger pieces and let him have that opportunity.

It`s so good you know how to ask for the right medical care for Alan

I don't feel I do know Sylvia - I just keep trying to get things clear in my head because the messages I am given are very conflicting and it doesn't instil much confidence in the system. I can honestly say that the system seems to have failed Alan thus far but getting in touch with the Alzheimers Society at such an early stage has been very empowering and now I wouldn't have it any other way. This way has enabled me to get the best for Alan because I got the best information which enabled me to make the best choices. I think I could write a book about it - but I wont;)

Love