Update on Alan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I became concerned yesterday because it seemed that Alan was blind in the eye that was operated on. I decided to ring Eye Casualty this morning and they asked me to bring him in. We've just got back and Alan's eye is very inflamed and so he's on 3 different sorts of drops. The doctor said it was nothing serious. I have to take him back next week.

Just as we got in the Social Worker phoned to ask if she could come tomorrow to do the assessment for the sitting service.

Friday Alan has to see the psychogeriatrician which is always a complete waste of time.

We have never spent so much time using health services and I don't suppose it will get any better. It just so happens that Thursday is the day of the month that the Occ. Therapist comes.

I know I will need the dentist urgently again because my mouth is yet again inflamed but I don't have the time to fit myself into the schedule:eek:

Love

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Helen, I know just how you are feeling. I sometimes think I might as well have taken my bed to the hospital as I seem to be there so often. Between visiting hospital with my mum who is 84 who has had two cataract ops in the last two years, a brain bleed, severe asthma, heart failure, MRSA etc.,etc., and my husband having an op for skin cancer, being admitted to the assessment ward for 9 months and then having to have a hernia op, and myself visiting regularly as a member of various steering groups (trying to better things for carers with relatives in hospital) I might just as well take up residence!!

I am pleased to say that we are in a lull at the moment and mum and Ken's hospital experiences helped them both with their health problems.

Thank goodness your fears about eyesight were relieved. That is such good news.

I remember the endless prcession of people visiting our house when Ken was cared for at home. CPN's, Social Worker, Physiotherapist, Chiropodist, home care assistant, assessments for this or that or 'tother!! I couldn't keep track of them all towards the end!!

It is rather a joke to talk about keeping yourself well - as carers we don't have the time to be ill!!

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

Oh dear!
What a fright it must have given you. I do hope the drops will clear the inflamation. And just as important, I hope this doesn`t upset Alan.
How is he coping with it?
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Helen

Good news that Alan's eye is all right. Let's hope it's soon back to normal.

You're right, there really isn't much time for carers to look after their own health. But please make an appointment to get that tooth seen to. I remember how ill you felt when you had the virus, and if here's infection in the root, it can flare up again at any time -- usually when it's least convenient!

Take care of the carer!:)

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi all

This is just quick cos life seems impossible at the moment and I am really envying Gigi's day off in Derbyshire.

In between the hospital visit and putting in drops which works out so complicated (one lot six times a day), (another twice a day) and the (third every two hours). This is really complicated having to do this in between everything else. I had to see a client in between this and tonight I have a couple of people coming round to empty the loft with me because it needs to be prepared for the insulation which is to be fitted shortly.
A muckier, dirtier loft would be hard to find:eek:

Alan seems o.k. but the moment I left him to see to a client he came and told me people on the t.v. were talking to him:eek: I had to be very firm and I turned the t.v . off and put him to bed for an hour.

Got to go someone at the door:eek:

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen I had these drops as routine, following my cataract surgery and the only way I could manage them was to make a chart.
Love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just to say hello Helen and to say I AM following your posts.

You have so much on your plate - take time soon to think of a break! :rolleyes: I KNOW it is not easy BUT ....

Take care of yourself in all this. Alan needs you.

Love Jan

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Helen, just to say thinking of you and Alan.

Sylvia's idea of a chart sounds good to me. In my life if it isn't written down in the diary it does not get don. Even have to have a 'days of the week' pillbox for myself:eek:, otherwise goodness only knows where I would be.

Take care now.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Helen

I know when the boys were small I used to a wipe board in the kitchen when they were ill to record who had had what when.

It isn't easy and while caring can become routine any change makes you re-evaluate the whole thing.

Love to you and Alan

Mameeskye

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Hi Helen
just emailed you before coming on here
sorry to hear about Alans eye, hope the drops work anf gets better very soon.
sending you hugs and a reminder to phone the dentist, look after your self as Alan needs you.
take care.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
The first thing I did was to make a chart. There's no way of managing them otherwise.

The family who came to help sort out the loft saw me quite frantic by the time they arrived and I think it did them good to see me like that because one of them said she was quite in awe of me and thought I did everything right. I had no idea she saw me like that and I felt good to be off such a pedestal. It has brought us closer together I am sure.

Also they seemed very eager to help out with Alan which was good for Alan, me and them.

As for looking after myself - it is something I firmly believe in but it seems to be getting more and more difficult. However, the wheels are in motion and hopefully I will soon have the benefit of a sitting service. I am also planning in my head for how I can get a significant short break before Christmas and a proper holiday next year.

As for the dentist:eek: I think it's only complete desperation that will get me to go.

Love

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Helen,
I don't know how you manage. My mum is in a Care Home and I still haven't responded to the recent (like 6 weeks ago) letters reminding me about annual blood tests (thyroid), cervical smear test, dentist and hygienist and this week the lovely mammogram!

We all put our own health to one side cos there is so much else to do, but don't neglect yourself.

Love Margaret