Update for policies on visiting arrangements in care homes (England)

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
For those who haven't seen it, an "Update for policies on visiting arrangements in care homes (England)" was published on Thursday.

It includes "For local areas with a high local COVID alert level (high risk or very high risk), visiting should be limited to exceptional circumstances only such as end of life".

I was due to visit Mum tomorrow for the first time in almost a month but as London has now moved into Tier 2 all visits have been stopped until further notice :(

Here's the update, plus the response from John's Campaign:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...icies-for-visiting-arrangements-in-care-homes

https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/Pre...s-Campaign-says-changes-to-care-homes-visitin

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Thanks for posting @Louise7, such a shame you will miss your visit.
It doesn't say visiting should be limited to just "end of life", it gives that as an example "such as". Doesn't that then imply "exceptional circumstances" could mean other things too eg my mum is sad and lonely, she needs a visit from a loved one!
There ought to be a difference in restriction for visiting between tier 2 and tier 3, I feel.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
For those who haven't seen it, an "Update for policies on visiting arrangements in care homes (England)" was published on Thursday.

It includes "For local areas with a high local COVID alert level (high risk or very high risk), visiting should be limited to exceptional circumstances only such as end of life".

I was due to visit Mum tomorrow for the first time in almost a month but as London has now moved into Tier 2 all visits have been stopped until further notice :(

Here's the update, plus the response from John's Campaign:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...icies-for-visiting-arrangements-in-care-homes

https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/Pre...s-Campaign-says-changes-to-care-homes-visitin

Hmm Johns Campaign were due to proceed with Judicial Review days ago, but on the basis of recent announcements they have held back (and also at the plea of government office). In the end what has been produced by central government are merely 'token gesture' which has done nothing to remedy the current situation nor find common ground on visiting rights in care homes. Despite the goodwill of Johns Campaign there has remained a consistent failure to address the issue. I am sure now a judicial review will follow.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
I too am going to miss a visit I had booked for tomorrow. It will now be a video call for a couple of minutes on Wednesday that my Mum probably wont get any benefit from and after that, who knows. Even harder to comprehend is the fact the home wont allow any sort of window visit...again following the so called guidance but I cant see how this would be a problem and would give a small amount of reassurance. Carehomes have been allowed to become closed institutions with all the dangers that brings. In the future we will question how this was ever allowed to happen, the damage it caused on so many levels and how crazy and extreme the restrictions were. Unfortunately the powers that be are currently gripped by fear and are unable to make rational decisions based on actual facts.
Its such a tragedy that all the hard work of Johns Campaign, Rights for Residents etc, has been drowned out by the so called rise in infections but hopefully they will carry on regardless. We need them more than ever

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
It is nonsensical and utterley incredulous that a key partner/relative could be regarded as more risky than any of the care staff, who undoubtedly are far more likely than a key relative to be exposed to higher infection risk situations outside of their care home employment. Why aren't care homes doing INDIVIDUAL risk assessments, as provided for in the guidelines? What is life without love and human interaction, denied not just to the residents but also to the caring partners/relatives. Now entering the 8th month, with no end in sight, yet the average care home life span is around 2 years. DIABOLICAL!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It is nonsensical and utterley incredulous that a key partner/relative could be regarded as more risky than any of the care staff, who undoubtedly are far more likely than a key relative to be exposed to higher infection risk situations outside of their care home employment. Why aren't care homes doing INDIVIDUAL risk assessments, as provided for in the guidelines? What is life without love and human interaction, denied not just to the residents but also to the caring partners/relatives. Now entering the 8th month, with no end in sight, yet the average care home life span is around 2 years. DIABOLICAL!
Totally agree, it is cruel and inhumane to deny covid safe visits, time is not on the resident's side. Care homes must and should find a way as my local hospital have now accepted ...the same visitor...temp taken and wearing PPE 1 hour booked slot per day. There has to be the will by care homes though to think outside the box!

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Totally agree, it is cruel and inhumane to deny covid safe visits, time is not on the resident's side. Care homes must and should find a way as my local hospital have now accepted ...the same visitor...temp taken and wearing PPE 1 hour booked slot per day. There has to be the will by care homes though to think outside the box!
@love.dad.but.. and @Lone Wolf I totally agree with you both. Because of me not being able to go into my husband’s home three times a week since March he has deteriorated very badly. Due to this he is currently under a section 3 in a mental health assessment unit. I am now able to visit indoors twice week indoors and they have done a visiting risk assessment meaning that I can take my mask off so as he can recognise me, I do have to put it back on but once he’s seen me he’s ok, I have try not to let him touch me but the other day he came right to me and gave me a big hug. The staff didn’t try to stop him as he would have become distressed and possibly angry. So why can’t homes do this, I wear gloves as well. Lack of willingness on the part of homes. I have emailed my local council officials many times many times since lockdown as it was local authority home he was living in, but no avail. The lockdown led to him becoming verbally and physically abusive towards staff and other residents, from the quiet calm man he was before March. Now I don’t know what or where he will go next, it’s heartbreaking.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I hope John's campaign will now push even harder @Palerider. So hard you didn't get your visit @Kellyr . It's just not right @love.dad.but.. , and @Lone Wolf to deny visits , care homes should be actively working for safe visits, supported by the government. If your husband's assessment unit can make indoor visits safe @Baker17 , you just wonder why this can't happen in care homes, as even hospitals have some visits now. I had a window visit last week on mum's birthday, better than nothing, but not the same as being able to touch. It just seems like the government have the perfect excuse now with rising numbers to not insist care homes facilitate visits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968