Upcoming Carer's Assessment

IloveNY

Jan 22, 2013
My mother has mild(ish) to moderate VD. Some days are better than others.
She's had four TIA's and the doctors - rightly - insisted after each one that she have more help at home. I found a local private agency which is very good .Mum is a widow, her few friends have drifted away, her relatives don't keep in contact (fearing VD is contagious - grrr) and my brother could not be more INVISIBLE. I spent this weekend away catching up with a number of old friends who grew up with both my brother and I and they were shocked at his attitude.

What I'm trying to say is that I feel overwhelmed and undersupported. My mother has always had a nasty streak and takes pleasure in saying things to hurt me more and more eg last week she claimed the (elderly) neighbours had climbed the tall fence into her garden. I said this wasn't possible and she said she'd punch me for my attitude.

I did not go to see her for a week as I was so livid. Today I tried to explain:she said she knew she's been rude to me but I (ME!) make up things and have no recollection of what really happens. I tried to explain my frustration so she said fine don't come and see me then. So I asked who will do your shopping, sort your medication, find your lost things ,sort out your finances etc. She vaguely said that's what the ladies who visit do. Yeah, right.She seems to think these nice ladies pop in for a chat and a cup of tea and magically make everything OK. No mention of the alleged "people" who come in and "take" everything she has misplaced.

So, finally, my questions are: as my local Social Services have finally deigned to carry out a Carers Assessment, do I expect any positive results? If I say I've had enough and need time off, what may happen?
Many thanks in advance. Without wanting to be totally rude about the overextended Social Servces, I'm aware this is probably a one-off opportunity for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705