unwell

bagpuss

Mar 5, 2007
hi, its a long time since my last post, as my auntie has been physically quite well and we have been able to cope with her mental decline, however in th epast 3 days she has become really quite unwell, normall she is up and about and the carrers have trouble keeping an eye on her and she is very placid, but she has taken to her bed and wont open her eyes, she is very week and looks unwell, she is only semi responsive and not really knowing who her family are, she has stopped eating but still taking fliuds, and also become incontient of faeces..
we had the gp in today who is treating her with a coures of antibotics for ? UTI, but she doesnt has a tempterature..
Any ideas whats going on would be great, i personally dont think she has a urine infection, but i know very little about dementia, and wondered if she could have such a fast decline..
any help in this matter would be greatfully recived..xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
A UTI can certainly caused a dramatic change for the worse in dementia.

You can have a UTI without having any symptoms at all from it. Certainly you can have an infection without having a fever. I believe that mild UTI's don't actually cause a fever at all.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bagpuss

It's certainly possible to have a UTI without having a temperature. Quite often the only early sign is a change in behaviour. You are lucky the GP has picked up on this, because if infections are left untreated they can couse tremendous damage.

I hope your Auntie is soon better again.

Love,

bagpuss

Mar 5, 2007
hi guys,
firstly thankyou for your replys,, any help i can get is most greatfully recived, i see alot of very ill people in my line of work but when it is a very close family member i feel very helpless, especialy when its some thing i dont know a great deal about.
I have been in to see my auntie tonight and she looks very unwell, she is covered in bruises and compleatly rigid and breathing very shallow...
they home have started antiboitics and said they will call us in the night if needs be.. and we will have to get the doctor back in...
anything else you can offer in terms of advice would be greatfull recived...

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bagpuss

Have you had any information about how your Auntie came by the bruises? Could she have had a fall?

She does sound to be very ill, and I think you and your mum should be asking questions.

I do hope you don't get that phone call in the night.

Love,

bagpuss

Mar 5, 2007
unwell auntie

hello, thankyou for all of you who replyed, well thankfully we didnt get the phone call i was dreading, although i had kind of prepared myself and thought how nice for her it would be if she just drifed of in to the land of dreams, but shes back with us, not quite back to normal, the bruises had come from where the carrers have got her dressed as she is now resiting help, we have now got to buy her some new clothes, the size 8 stuff we bought her in jan is now too big so we are having to try to find size 6 stuff which belive me is easlier said than done, She had another fall today, so yet again she is black and blue, she is so frail she trys to get up then stumbles around then falls...There is now little or no recognsion when we go in now, her eyes no longer light up when we say hello, this is such a hard disease to watch someone go through, she has gone from a large fun lady size 18 2 years ago to a small frail lady who makes no sense and no longer wants a hug and a size 6!!!
sorry to go on, but its the only way i can express my feelings without upsetting my family.
love to you all
bagpuss
xxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Bagpuss

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. With regard to the clothes - have you thought about children's sizes? That'll only work, though, if she's fairly short. I would suggest, though, thinking about easy on and off if she's fighting carers: this may not be the time for skirts with zip or blouses with buttons (for example) even if that's what she's always worn.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Bagpuss

It must be so hard for you.

If your auntie has lost so much weight I`m not surprised she bruises easily, she`ll have no padding to cushion holds.

Could you buy children`s clothes for her?

You are not `going on` you are obviously very upset and worried. That`s what TP is here for, for you to offload to people who understand.

It`s so sad we can do no more.

Love xx

bagpuss

Mar 5, 2007
thankyou

hello again, thankyou for all you kinds words or support, is so nice to be able to talk to other people who are feeling the same way and know what you are going though... thankyou!!!
i was discussing childrens clothes with my mum, i think that may be the answer as auntie is only 5' so that may be the way forward, and definaltly blouses with buttons, mum gas spent most of the day trying to convert her nighties so they button up all the way rather than slipping over her head.
Hopefully we will find her some nice clothes to wear and keep her warm.
thanks again
love to you all
bagpuss
xxxxxxxx