Unwanted Jewellery Donation

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I belong to the WI and before Christmas we contributed to the British Heart Foundation by donating unwanted, or broken jewellery. Not just the good stuff, costume was welcomed too ;)

When I Googled to see if they were still collecting, I discovered that the Alzheimer's society have a similar scheme. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20014/make_a_donation/164/donate_old_jewellery

No surprises as to where Mum's no longer used baubles are shortly to be sent!

I am assuming that the Alzheimer's scheme is similar to BHF's, whereby anything resaleable is sold. Broken or damaged fine jewellery gets sold as scrap - anything else is broken up for beads, findings etc. A Freepost bag can be requested or you can send Freepost to the given address.

I thought I would just post this, as I cannot be the only one who is emptying property after a loved one has gone into residential care and has unwanted items that could be donated toraise funds.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I signed up for this & have received 2 med sized addressed envelopes to send old costume jewellery (even broken) to help raise funds :)

Hyacinth46

Mar 21, 2017
I have sent in four lots of broken or unwanted jewellery already. I have had my next lot of four envelopes today. I think this brilliant way of helping a charity, as not everyone is in a position to donate huge amounts of money.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
That is such a brilliant idea. I often buy broken jewellery/beads etc from charity shops to use for making twiddle muffs. It would be difficult to buy everything brand new as hobby shops prices can be a bit high at times.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I started this thread a year ago, and have sent in several bags of Mum's bits and bobs, and also filled a few myself with my own discarded stuff and that of friends and family. I think it is such a good way of raising money.

Today I received an update that this year the Alzheimer's Society are hoping to raise £175,000 from the Old Jewellery Appeal. However, the Freepost address to send jewellery to has recently changed. If you were sent envelopes to donate jewellery and still have them, please check that the address on the envelope is the up to date one, as the earlier address may now not be valid.

FREEPOST RTYR-ZUUZ-AULL
Alzheimer's Society
c/o Partridges,
3 Eagle Avenue
Magnetic Park Desborough,
NN14 2WD