Unusual aggressive behaviour

DunWell

May 12, 2021
Hi all,
My MIL moved into a care home 6 weeks ago. We moved her from an assisted living apartment after she'd only lived there for 6 months because of a sudden deterioration in her behaviour and mobility.
The care home is amazing, the staff are great and nothing seems to be too much effort but MIL has now changed beyond recognition. It seems that her deterioration happens in steps rather than a gradual slide but this week it's like she's jumped off a cliff. We visit 3 or 4 times a week.
This week she has become more irrational, less lucid, aggressive and quite abusive to staff. So far in the last 3 days she's thrown a table, kicked and scratched staff, thrown a cup of tea across the room, rammed staff with her walker and punched another in the ribs. This is a woman who a month ago would have apologised for breathing!
She's also taken items from other residents, claiming they're hers and have been stolen from her, is frequently found in other people's beds and constantly undresses, walking around naked after soiling herself. She has also suddenly started stashing items from her bathroom and bedroom in the basket of her walker - then pees on them.
We're not sure whether this is a UTI, change of meds from Citalopram to Mirtazapine or 'simply' the Alzheimers progressing.
Staff have been trying to get a pee sample to dip for a UTI but she keeps wetting her pad or peeing on the floor before they can get one.
Strangely whilst her behaviour has become increasingly challenging her mobility has greatly improved!
Does anyone have any suggestions for why the changes are so massive so suddenly?
The care home don't seem particularly bothered, they say they're used to dealing with dementia and the multiple challenges but we're quite shocked at the decline.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @DunWell
I must say that this does sound very much like a UTI with accompanying delirium, but it really does need a urine sample to be sure. I do hope the staff can get a sample soon.
xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27