Unsure I've made the right decision

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
Hi all
I've had to make a decision for my uncle and am unsure if I've made the right one!
Uncle went into respite care for two weeks over Easter, when I went to collect him last Wednesday and asked how he had got on the carer said he was a wonderful man and that they would miss him and that he had made a special lady friend who had been on respite as well, they had been inseparable and had sat together, eaten together and done walks around the home and gardens holding hands, she even said that the lady had been back to see uncle once her respite was over. On the way home I asked uncle the normal questions, when I asked him if he had made any friends he said no because they were all funny in the head! ( his words exactly) when we got home although he didn't recognise us he did recognise home instantly, sat in his chair, looked in his drawer and got out his colouring book and pencils, even went directly to the toilet without getting lost.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday were all fine and he even started calling me by my name so I felt the respite had been a success!.
On Sunday he came out of his bedroom with one of his photos, previously his favourite, of himself and his wife at their 50th wedding anniversary party, and really shocked me by asking who the people in the picture were? When I told him he look surprised and then asked if the women in the picture was his wife! It made me realise that maybe he had deteriorated more than I had realised.
He didn't speak much for the rest of the day, but by Monday was fine again, so life plodded on.
Yesterday my son took a phone call from one of the carers at the respite home, saying she had Mary there and Mary wanted to speak to uncle, son handed phone to uncle and he sat saying yes, yes, yes, at least 10 times and then said I'm (full name) at this point he handed me the phone looking very confused, when I said hello, I had a very muddle old lady asking where Uncle lived, she then said it's not him! And handed the phone back to the carer.
The carer explained that this was the lady that had been with uncle on respite and that she had been walking to the home daily asking to see him, so she thought she would ring to arrange for them to meet, she said they could meet at the home, if I was prepared to take uncle over, telling me that uncle and Mary had been inseparable and on the day Mary left they had both cried and told each other they loved each other, and that she had found uncle an hour later sobbing on his bed and that it had taken him a day or so to get over her leaving.
I agreed to a time and put the phone down.
Then my brain went into overdrive! Uncle asked who that was, I said a friend he had made and he said he didn't remember her.
I've done nothing but think about this since! Why did the home do this! Surly after caring for him for two weeks they realised how far down the dementia road he is! All that kept ringing through my head was what the carer had told me about how distressed he had been when Mary had left!
I have rung the home this morning and told them I wouldn't be taking uncle to meet Mary as I didn't want him to be upset again, but now wonder if I should Have let him go! I just don't know if I've made the right decision!
Sorry for the long rambling post I know I have to make choices for him on the basis of if it's in his best interest and I just don't know if I have
Thank you xx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think we can all relate to this Beenie. Being a carer gives you enormous responsibilities for and power over the person you are caring for. All you can do in situations like this is to go with your gut feeling and then try not to keep going over the issue in your mind - hard to avoid but very unproductive.

I don't think anyone can tell you if you did the right thing except that, if you felt it was right, it probably was.

Others who have faced similar decisions may well be able to reassure you. But no-one can give you a definitive answer.

One thing that struck me was that the lady in question is presumably more 'with it' as she obviously did remember your dad and her friendship. She must have family who may be equally concerned. I wonder if it would be possible or useful to try and contact them?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
As long as someone from the home has told the lady that " John" won't be there to see her....and doesn't pass on Uncle's phone number, I'd draw a line under it for now. If Uncle does remember, I would be very surprised.....poor thing. Just another case of unrequited love.:)
At least the home was nice.:)

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mom had several dementia loves on CH. Easily forgotten. No harm, or broken heart.

Dont worry, they have short term memory.

She will get others bf, and soon will forger him. Poor lady, she found mr right and his respite ends. Of course she helped him on respite, he wasn't alone.

The question is how much work means to careers to let them hang together.

Last edited:

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
Thank you all for your replies, I popped into the home this morning to take back some things uncle had bought home that he had "borrowed!" They have been trying to get in touch with Mary's family because she is still going in every day and asking for him. I feel so very sorry for her, the receptionist said she has been visibly distressed every day and it's upsetting, I think Mary May now need closer supervision. It's so strange how dementia works, the poor lady is still looking for uncle and asking for him by name, but can't remember that she is told daily that he is no longer in the home! I just hope they get hold of her family soon. As for uncle he hasn't noticed a thing, he has no memory of Mary but never forgets that he has magnum ice cream every afternoon, and will remind me straight away if I forget!!! Alzheimer's sucks xx

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Oh bless her :-( I know it sounds really harsh but it's not your problem. I hope the poor lady gets over it soon x

candiedsonia

Jul 13, 2012
Watford
I like the demential friends advert I read in the paper this week.

It described the brain as being like a string of fairy lights.

Some are on all the time, some blink on/off and others are now off forever.

So true.

Keep on caring, that's what we do. Good Luck.

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
I like the demential friends advert I read in the paper this week.

It described the brain as being like a string of fairy lights.

Some are on all the time, some blink on/off and others are now off forever.

So true.

Keep on caring, that's what we do. Good Luck.

I love this! I will remember this for the next time someone tells me "he seems fine" xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I love the fairy lights analogy too....will keep it in my back pocket for future use! :D

Re your decision, Beenie, I really think you did the best thing you could. If you had enabled the meet up, who knows how much more distressed the poor lady may have got. And sadly it doesn't seem to matter really to your uncle :(

Sounds like you found a really nice respite home though, which is a plus :)

All the best

Lindy xx