Unsure if boyfriend's mother is developing alzheimers/dementia (long post)

Unknownuser

Aug 19, 2022
Backstory: boyfriend's mother is 51 years old and has some brain damage from getting hit by a car as a kid. I live with her and noticed some things within the past few months.

She is always either sitting down or laying down, always staring at her phone, rarely cleans the house, and she thinks she's talking to Eminem and says he's in love with her. (It's a scammer profile not a celebrity but she won't listen to anyone telling her otherwise). She sends this scammer gift cards and once sat on the porch daily waiting for some package for over a month that "eminem" was supposedly sending her. She also falls for fake online apps and money scams like "click here and you can win money". She answers spam calls and then complain she hates them. She is always struggling with paying bills and won't allow me to help her because she hides the bills, a few times the utilities were shut off because of that. Most days she's nice but then will be a complete witch out of nowhere, super mean and sarcastic judgemental comments about others. She says things like "it's not my problem" to anyone who opens up to her then will make some mean comment and turn it into how she went through a lot growing up as a way to make any subject about herself. She repeats the same conversations, and tends to sing out of nowhere, especially when someone is upset and trying to express their feelings. Shes said that she doesnt want to hear negative words so she sings over people, which i find to be super rude. She also talks in a baby voice at random. She has forgotten things at times like how to spell a word she knows how to spell, or the name of something/someone. I've had to turn off the oven multiple times and pull dirty wet dishes out of the cabinet because she decided to cook and clean. I honestly don't trust meals made by her because of this. She tends to leave food out overnight or leave raw meat on top of veggies/fruit for days in the fridge, and the fridge is super unorganized and feels like someone just threw stuff in there. The cabinets are the same. No matter how much I clean and organize its back to thrown around and dirty again. She let's her cat jump on the counter/dining table and eat off of plates or out of pots she's cooking meals in and laughs about it, and lets him lick her fingers while preparing food. When the cat meows for food or a clean box she either tells him to shut up or uses this baby voice with him like a full on conversation. I can't clean the litter box due to my own health issues so the litter makes the whole house stink until she feels like cleaning it. She will avoid housework but will go out and mow the lawn no problem, when she's not sitting around that is. And will plant flowers, and basically make the outside of the house presentable where the inside is a mess. She tells me she doesn't want the neighbors to talk about her, yet she always talks badly about them.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just at my wits end here and really need help dealing with this. I'm looking into getting my own place but for now I'm stuck financially and just can't understand her behavior.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Unknownuser and welcome to Talking Point

This is complicated because of your boyfriends mothers old brain injury.
Is this what she was always like, or have things changed in the past couple of years?
If she has changed over the past years and its getting worse then it would be a good idea to encourage her to go to her GP about this.

Unknownuser

Aug 19, 2022
Hello @Unknownuser and welcome to Talking Point

This is complicated because of your boyfriends mothers old brain injury.
Is this what she was always like, or have things changed in the past couple of years?
If she has changed over the past years and its getting worse then it would be a good idea to encourage her to go to her GP about this.
She was okay until I moved here. Within the 4 months I've noticed a personality shift, and my boyfriend noticed it too when he visited. He and I don't live together because of his work he lives in another state, so it's just me noticing this stuff first hand.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Unknownuser

It does sound like this is something that needs investigating. There are several things that can mimic the symptoms of dementia, although a previous brain injury can make you more susceptible to dementia.

You saying that your boyfriend is in another state makes me think that you are not in UK. This is a UK site and although dementia is the same the world over, the systems for diagnosis and support that is available is not, so unfortunately, I dont know how you can get a diagnosis where you are. Whatever the route to diagnosis, though, it is very common for people with dementia to refuse to go to appointments and you have to use subterfuge and be "creative" with the reason for going.

We can certainly offer support and advice with coping with the different symptoms and we do have people from all over the world posting, so do not feel that you cant post because you arent in UK - we just cant help with things that are specific to where you are.
xx