Unsteady on feet - advice please

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband has Vas Dem with Alz as well as many other health issues
In the last few months, he has become unsteady on his feet - staggering and shuffling as well as tripping over nothing
He told me yesterday that he is aware of this now although in the past he has denied it
I suggested a walking stick to help him but he has bluntly refused this - saying he prefers to hold onto me
I am afraid that both of us will take a tumble because of this
Any ideas or advice as to how to get him to use a walking stick, please?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello MReader

I don`t know how but try to get your husband used a a walking stick or even walking frame as soon as you can.

The longer you leave it, if he`s anything like my husband, as his dementia progresses, the more difficult he will find it a help.
The walking stick was a nuisance and I ended up carrying it. The walking frame was a disaster because my husband pushed the frame but didn`t move his feet, so he ended up bent double.

When he held on to me, it affected my hip and back and it wasn`t until much later before i realised what w lob sided weight I had been supporting.

I`m sorry to be full of doom and gloom but alarm bells rang when I read your post.

Do you think you could tell your husband you have back/hip pain and him holding on to you is making it worse.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
My husband has Vas Dem with Alz as well as many other health issues
In the last few months, he has become unsteady on his feet - staggering and shuffling as well as tripping over nothing
He told me yesterday that he is aware of this now although in the past he has denied it
I suggested a walking stick to help him but he has bluntly refused this - saying he prefers to hold onto me
I am afraid that both of us will take a tumble because of this
Any ideas or advice as to how to get him to use a walking stick, please?

Hiya

My dad has the same two conditions - he fell on Thursday walking to the shop and although ok it shook us both up!

Apparently we will be referred to the Fall clinic who will assess how stable he is on his feet and his mobility - you can ask your dr or memory team to do this I believe .

I'm not sure how you get back to the topic I posted on this the other day - but someone posted that this is common as their brain isn't telling them to lift their feet in time? Sure if you look under Tiggs72 you may be able to find it and the advice I was given

Xx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I am not much help I am afraid but I can relate to this because my MIL has had knee replacement, bunions operated on and usually walks so fast. During the last few months if she doesn't hang on to one of us she hardly walks at all and its not her legs! Its her brain not telling her feet to lift! She refuses to use a walking stick as she is not old or needing one! :eek: She shuffles tripping up constantly x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
As others have said I'd get the fall clinic out to assess him. It's not just a frame he needs, it sounds to me as if he needs grab rails and other support mechanisms.