Unpaid leave

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
I’m a full time carer for my mum who is in her seventies. I still work part time in a hotel. With all the people coming and going and three members of staff off sick I think it’s time to take steps to protect my mum.

I will be asking my manager for as much time off as I can get. He will undoubtedly say no. The attitude of the company I work for is “what virus?”

How much unpaid leave can I ask for? I will remind my manager of my rights as a carer but am prepared to quit my job if necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
I can`t answer your question @Cap'n Grimm but although I`m not sure, I do think quitting your job may mean you won`t get sick pay at a later date.
Luckily for me money isn’t something I will need to worry about for a while. I’m not rich. But I did save my money over the years and I’m pretty good and making things last.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If you have an employment contract check to see if it refers to unpaid leave. The reality is that in the current climate there will no longer be people 'coming and going' to the hotel so the company is not going to be able to sustain their "what virus" attitude for long when bookings are cancelled.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
If you have an employment contract check to see if it refers to unpaid leave. The reality is that in the current climate there will no longer be people 'coming and going' to the hotel so the company is not going to be able to sustain their "what virus" attitude for long when bookings are cancelled.

Business is slowly going down but there’s still a surprising amount of bookings being made for the next few weeks.
We’ve got 3 people off sick. I’ve been hammering home the importance of hand washing and sanitising to people but to little avail. The anxiety this laissez faire attitude in people produces is overwhelming. I’m honestly very scared.
A manager came into the kitchen last week. I asked him to wash his hands before entering. He said he didn’t need to cause he was a manager.
One way or another I think it’s time to go.
I have skills I will find work again when things calm down.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
Well as it turns out the boss came in and sent me straight home Because of the risk to my mother. I will not be working for the next few months but at least I still have a job when this is all over

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you are not earning anything and your mum is getting attendance allowance, you may be eligible for carers allowance until you go back.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
If you are not earning anything and your mum is getting attendance allowance, you may be eligible for carers allowance until you go back.

Didn’t think of that. I willget On and fill in the forms. I may have spoken a little too soon about still having a job at the end of this. Reading about the state of thehospitality industry at the moment there really are no guarantees