Unpaid carers and covid vaccinations

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My GP records show that I am a carer and I received a text yesterday with a link to book an appointment and am having the vaccination on Friday.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
I went on the NHS link and tried to book and whilst it does say carers are now eligible, but then when you go through there is not the option to say you are an unpaid carer, just those that are professional carers, so it wouldn’t let me book...

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Hi the NHS Covid vaccination website and has updated and anyone who would be eligible for Carers Allowance can now book a vaccine. I am 64 and my husband is 58, I booked this afternoon and we are having our vaccinations tomorrow morning. It is really easy online, no difficult questions.
Wow, that seems unfair because carer's allowance is means tested, if you earn even a modest salary from a job as well as caring, you can't get it.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Wow, that seems unfair because carer's allowance is means tested, if you earn even a modest salary from a job as well as caring, you can't get it.
I am so glad I read this thread because I took a look at the vaccination booking site and to my surprise saw that they are now accepting people aged 64+ which means I can book, and I have done, it was incredibly easy! Thanks, guys and girls!

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
I went on the NHS link and tried to book and whilst it does say carers are now eligible, but then when you go through there is not the option to say you are an unpaid carer, just those that are professional carers, so it wouldn’t let me book...
Hi @Hellyg, that's a pity, it didn't ask me that question but it may be because both me and my husband are registered with our GP surgery as carers.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Hi @Hellyg, that's a pity, it didn't ask me that question but it may be because both me and my husband are registered with our GP surgery as carers.
I am registered with GP as a carer, but all sorted as phoned 119 as per the NHS website and they were happy to book me in. I get the vaccine on Friday.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
in the south there are 4 hubs that are doing walkin sessions but only for those who are eligible had the letter or have carers allowance. 1 portsmouth southampton isle of wight and basingstoke, no need for appt but if its your turn

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I had a text from my GP inviting me to book, but this arrived the day I moved house. As I moved 200 miles away obviously I couldn't take advantage of this in my former area. I was a bit concerned that I would be lost in the system under these circumstances, but as soon as I had registered with a new GP, I could still book on line for an appointment at a mass vaccination hub. The website recognised that I hadn't taken yet up an appointment and I could book both appointments at the same time. Very efficient.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Sore subject for me. Couldn't have alongside OH over a month ago as not official carer ( wife not eligible for carer benefits doesn't count). Am over 65 so got my letter to book at hub a month ago. BUT this is about 2 hours as a trip there and back and I can't leave OH that long (we have no other care or support). Meanwhile younger people in the group at risk are having theirs where my OH had his ... a five minute drive away! But can I get through to GP receptionist that this would be more suitable for me in the circs? Nope. Fed up!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Sore subject for me. Couldn't have alongside OH over a month ago as not official carer ( wife not eligible for carer benefits doesn't count). Am over 65 so got my letter to book at hub a month ago. BUT this is about 2 hours as a trip there and back and I can't leave OH that long (we have no other care or support). Meanwhile younger people in the group at risk are having theirs where my OH had his ... a five minute drive away! But can I get through to GP receptionist that this would be more suitable for me in the circs? Nope. Fed up!
Have you tried booking online? I did and had a wide choice of locations. I chose a convenient pharmacy rather than a hub.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Have you tried this link?
You don’t need to know your nhs number!
It says for over 65 but it happily offered me an appointment and I am not 65

Last edited:

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
I have received an email today from the local County Council, the county Association of Carers, of which I am a member, have passed on my details to the County Council offering me a priority vaccination. Being over 70 I have already had my first jab, however, there was a link to a form so I pressed on it to see what it said, It had a place to say you had received your first vaccine, so I went ahead and filled it in and sent it. I do receive Attendance Allowance for 24 hour caring of my Husband and although it does quote Carers Allowance, I must admit I misread it, obviously being retired I don't qualify for Carers Allowance. I ticked that he is in the vulnerable category, which at 77 he is, and is in the later stages of the combined Alzheimers/Vascular dementia, Given that is the top of the list of underlying health conditions of people who have died of Covid in the last 12 months, I consider that to be another reason he is vulnerable. Were I to become ill he would have to go into a Care Home, I can barely leave him in a room on his own to go to the toilet.

I will have to wait and see if they send for me any sooner than the end of April for my second vaccination, or if I get into trouble for not completing the form correctly.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
@Weasell and @MartinWL
Thanks for feedback. Yes, been online but only places I can book there including hubs (1 hour away on a good day) is a pharmacy that is 40 minute drive... Would be very worried if I was distant for the total time needed and left OH home alone. Frustrating as I know GP doing vaccs in centre just 5 mins away... but online can't book me there - have to wait for GP to call. OH - who asks A LOT when I am getting jabbed - would come too but can't really leave in car (might not stay there!) and if away nearly 2 hours he will also need a loo... Also has mobility problems. So much easier to go local.
Just seems a bit nuts as if I did get ill NHS would have to look after 2 of us.
never mind. Will just wait, but cheesed off!

Blossom50

Aug 22, 2016
If you are a carer and are registered as such with your gp, then sometimes they might be offering it to unpaid carers. I think that it is all part of the postcode lottery we all hear about. I am an unpaid carer for my dad who has Alzheimers, my surgery contacted me last week to offer me the jab and I had it yesterday. Make sure all your contact details are up to date, you might be lucky