Unpaid carers and covid vaccinations

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
As an unpaid carer for a parent with dementia - am I prioritised for covid vaccinations?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You would think that unpaid carers should be prioritised, but AFAIK, we are not. As someone who is in their early sixties, Im down in level 7.
I hope someone in government has a re-think about this.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
I checked the priority list when it first was published and no we (my pwd is my husband ) are not classed as priority. Even dementia is not a priority condition!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
COVID-19 vaccination first phase priority groups - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
That gives the list of priorities. It does list dementia as a clinical condition, but that still only puts our loved ones at number 4 or 6 depending on how you read number 4. My partner is over 80 and sadly she missed a vaccine at the weekend because I left my phone at home and they had run out by the time I called back. It looks like I'm a bit further down the list.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
I’m sure I saw a revised list at the weekend where unpaid carers had been bumped up the list to coincide with the 65+ age group.

It’s hard because I understand they can’t vaccinate everyone immediately and I’m willing to wait my turn but even if my mum gets her vaccination and in the meantime I catch COVID and end up hospitalised she would have to be found a care home place as she couldn’t stay here on her own. It would be more convenient in my situation if I could swap places in the queue with her

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
It has changed on 30th December. However it is not written in the clearest wording and I think we are in the group with the under 65s with health issues ...which I might have got into anyway. Still it will help some younger carers which is good news!!

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
My mums bedbound so she couldn't leave the home to get hers,but they say a van will come out,which I assume has a fridge inside.I rang our GP practice again to check when this would happen and they said it was being organised by other people so they couldn't say.I'm mum's carer and I have diabetes,but we also have 8 carers entering the home everyday,who come in to contact with their extended families and have shopping trips etc.So I'm really worried,even if the carers get their jabs nobody knows if it can still be transmitted by them.If it's rolled out as well as the rest of the pandemic was handled I think it's going to be quite shambolic.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
we also have 8 carers entering the home everyday,who come in to contact with their extended families and have shopping trips etc.So I'm really worried,even if the carers get their jabs nobody knows if it can still be transmitted by them.
No-one can completely eliminate the risk of transmitting the virus, but if the carers are wearing PPE (mask+face shield, gloves and plastic apron) the risk should be pretty minimal - especially if they have been vaccinated as well, so please try not to worry too much. xx

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
No-one can completely eliminate the risk of transmitting the virus, but if the carers are wearing PPE (mask+face shield, gloves and plastic apron) the risk should be pretty minimal - especially if they have been vaccinated as well, so please try not to worry too much. xx
Thanks x

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Mums having her second jab on Sunday, confirmed by doctors. Maybe if I get ill she can micro manage my son to look after her!! The relief, like the anti bodies that have been building inside her, is tremendous

Agog

Aug 17, 2016
I am my wife's carer and dont get paid to look after her, I was wondering what group will she be in as she is 73 and has mixed dementia also would I be in the same group as her for I have had a heart attack and have had a double by pass also have a hiatus hernia and diabetes 2. So I don't know which groups we would be.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Currently from group 3 onwards classification is solely by age except that people, not including pregnant women and those under 16 years of age, judged to be clinically extremely vulnerable move up to the 70 + age group

It's worth noting that instead of having a defined condition a person can be put on the clinically extremely vulnerable list at the discretion of a doctor
"have been classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, based on clinical judgement and an assessment of your needs"

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My mums bedbound so she couldn't leave the home to get hers,but they say a van will come out,which I assume has a fridge inside.I rang our GP practice again to check when this would happen and they said it was being organised by other people so they couldn't say.I'm mum's carer and I have diabetes,but we also have 8 carers entering the home everyday,who come in to contact with their extended families and have shopping trips etc.So I'm really worried,even if the carers get their jabs nobody knows if it can still be transmitted by them.If it's rolled out as well as the rest of the pandemic was handled I think it's going to be quite shambolic.
We are not likely to have vaccinations till March. We have very few cases here so I think our government is watching to see if there are any adverse effects from any of the vaccines.

Our lockdown in Victoria was really tough and went on for weeks. We don't live in Melbourne but those who do did it really hard. There was an 8 pm curfew and you could not travel further than 5 kilometres from home without permits.

But it was worth it. We have had small clusters in Melbourne and Sydney and the inevitable returned travellers in hotel quarantine but the rest of Australia haven't had any cases of community transmission for months.

We are still required to wear masks in larger stores and supermarkets an on public transport but life in many parts of Australia is pretty normal.

We watch what is hapening in UK with great sadness.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
We are not likely to have vaccinations till March. We have very few cases here so I think our government is watching to see if there are any adverse effects from any of the vaccines.

Our lockdown in Victoria was really tough and went on for weeks. We don't live in Melbourne but those who do did it really hard. There was an 8 pm curfew and you could not travel further than 5 kilometres from home without permits.

But it was worth it. We have had small clusters in Melbourne and Sydney and the inevitable returned travellers in hotel quarantine but the rest of Australia haven't had any cases of community transmission for months.

We are still required to wear masks in larger stores and supermarkets an on public transport but life in many parts of Australia is pretty normal.

We watch what is hapening in UK with great sadness.
Thanks,take care

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi the NHS Covid vaccination website and has updated and anyone who would be eligible for Carers Allowance can now book a vaccine. I am 64 and my husband is 58, I booked this afternoon and we are having our vaccinations tomorrow morning. It is really easy online, no difficult questions.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A