Unknown Bill.

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
I have been contacted by a clock repairer this morning and he said Dad left a clock with him for repair 8 months ago.
At the time I would have said he would have just about capable of taking the clock to the shop.
The problem is I do not recognise it.
I have looked at the paperwork and my father's details are on it but it is the writing of the clock repairer.
The bill is for £30 and a friend who knows about clocks thinks the value of the clock is £150 to £200. She happened to be available to come and look. The repairer is of a similar opinion.
I lived with my parents and thought I knew their property well.
I am not bothered about the £30 but I am a little worried if matters went that far I could be convicted of theft if I keep the clock.
I find it a little strange the clock repairer took 8 months to make contact as the correct telephone number is on the paperwork.
I asked the repairer for a description of the person who asked for the repair to be done but he can only remember he was elderly and appeared to be slightly confused but he said his answers made sense when he repeated his questions or asked them in a slightly different way.
Any advice?.

Claire

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Could you ask the police for advice? They may be able to determine whether the clock has been stolen from someone else and is therefore being passed off as your dad's property by this man, which is what I assume you are worried about?

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
I am a little worried if matters went that far I could be convicted of theft if I keep the clock

Why would you be thought to have stolen someone else's clock, and who would accuse you? Was the paperwork at your house, or at the repairers?

I often forget items I have left for repair, such as shoes, or dry-cleaning, for some time - to hear from the clock repairer after 8 months isn't really that strange, he possibly isn't great on admin or following up on a forgetful owner, especially if the bill is a relatively small amount.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Why would you be thought to have stolen someone else's clock, and who would accuse you? Was the paperwork at your house, or at the repairers?

I often forget items I have left for repair, such as shoes, or dry-cleaning, for some time - to hear from the clock repairer after 8 months isn't really that strange, he possibly isn't great on admin or following up on a forgetful owner, especially if the bill is a relatively small amount.

I completely agree nicoise.

And in fact, old clock repair can take forever if is done right. At the risk of rambling, my mother had an 18th century watch repaired and it took almost a year for the restorer to source all the parts he needed. You can't just order these things from a warehouse.

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
Hi Everyone

All I can say is I did not know anything about this clock until yesterday when I had the phone call.
So far I have only got to the stage of taking some of Dad's clothes to the charity shop and I have not looked through all of the papers yet and I have not come across any paperwork relating to the clock.
If it turned out the clock was owned by somebody else I am sure most people will be reasonable and accept a mistake has happened but you do get the odd awkward person.

Claire

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I really wouldn't worry about it. When you pay the Bill keep the receipt from the repairer so you have backup for what you know. I should imagine the mystery will go to the bottom of the pile when you consider how much paperwork/probate etc has to be done when someone dies.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You are lucky it was a very observant clock-repairer, to have remembered quite a bit of detail of a customer so many months previously.

I think if there were to be another owner, it would be the clock repairer who would be liable.
In the circumstances I don't think you could be charged with theft.

It's not as if you were pretending to be another person, is it?

He had the correct contact details.

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
Could you ask the police for advice? They may be able to determine whether the clock has been stolen from someone else and is therefore being passed off as your dad's property by this man, which is what I assume you are worried about?

Hi CollegeGirl and Everybody

Just to let you know I asked for advice at my local police office and the officer said that the police would not be interested in prosecuting in these circumstances,
He said just keep the paperwork in case there is any come back.
As the officer said the worst that is likely to happen is I could be asked to hand the clock over if somebody else owns it but if it was him he would want to know why that person had not collected it in 8 months.
He said the fact I have the paperwork gives me good reason to think it is Dad's clock.

Claire

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I hope that puts your mind at rest. Just keep the bill andy in case anyone knocks at your door. I hope you and Dougal enjoy the clock.